66 Mustang parts swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 12:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

66 Mustang parts swap

I have a '66 Mustang that im going to do a V8 swap on.. It has the 6 right now. I need to get new spindles and a bigger rearend and a few other things like the drag link and pitman arm, new tie rod ends and sleeves.

I have a 70s Maverick ('71 or '72.. cant remember) with no engine and no transmission and no title.. It originally had 302 im pretty sure. I know it has the 8" rear end and V8 parts I need... Would these 70s Maverick parts fit on a '66 Mustang??

Just trying to spend as little money as possible so if anyone knows about this I'd love to know!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 PM

Parts swap

They should fit fine. The only difference you may find would be mating the tie rod ends to the center link, may have a different diameter on the tie rod than a 6 cyl Mustang.

I took the front spindles and brakes off an early 70's Merc Capri and bolted them to my 66 with no problem at all. Was done to utilize the disc brakes on the Capri, a huge improvement in my opinion.

Measure the rear end from backing plate to backing plate, should be very similar width.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The Maverick stuff should work, but I would measure everything first to see if it will work. I would check the overall width of the rearend and from spring perch to spring perch. Around two or three years ago I bought a 70 Mustang at a auction that had no suspension under it. I had a 77 Granada that I used for parts and everything bolted up except for the power steering stuff. The rearend was the same as the 70 Mustang as was the front suspension parts.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

you overlooked a few items needed:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto...wap/index.html
Old 12-11-2008, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

No the Maverick steering parts will not work! If you measure the distance between frame rails you will find the Maverick is actually narrower than the Mustang so the drag link and tie rods will not fit. I know of one conversion that was done using Maverick parts including the steering box which was used to eliminate the "spear" type solid steering shaft. In order for every thing to fit under the Mustang he had to use 1/2" spacer plates under the steering box and idler arm bracket where it bolts through the frame rail. This allowed the drag link and tie rods to be used while keeping the idler arm and pitman arm in proper alignment but the bumpsteer was terrible because this left the inner tie rod pivot in the wrong location in relation to the control arm pivot points and while this set-up did work, sort of anyway, and he drove it that way I would not recommend it because of the bad bumpsteer characteristics.

The parts I am talking about are the actual steering linkage parts, disc brake spindles from a Granada or Monarch and possibly Maverick spindles works fine and this conversion is quite common.

Last edited by oldred; 12-11-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Moostang
I have a '66 Mustang that im going to do a V8 swap on.. It has the 6 right now. I need to get new spindles and a bigger rearend and a few other things like the drag link and pitman arm, new tie rod ends and sleeves.

I have a 70s Maverick ('71 or '72.. cant remember) with no engine and no transmission and no title.. It originally had 302 im pretty sure. I know it has the 8" rear end and V8 parts I need... Would these 70s Maverick parts fit on a '66 Mustang??

Just trying to spend as little money as possible so if anyone knows about this I'd love to know!! Thanks!
V8 cars had 5 bolt wheels, 6s had 4 bolt wheels.
The Mav rear will bolt in using the Mav parts, since the axle tubes are larger.
While you are there, replace the f and r spring bushings with polyurethane. The rubber is rotten by now.

The front end needs the V8 heavier parts upgrade and 5 bolt wheels,
and use Maverick disc brake spindles/assembly (74-75 preferred/ or Granada), including the master cylinder and brass brake valve from the donor vehicle.

When using the disc spindles, use the corresponding tie rod ends from the donor car and the 66 V8 Mustang center link, since the M/G is as wide as a 67 Mustang.
It is not a total bolt in deal, it takes a little work, but it finishes well.
While you are there, do the upper control arm drop a la Shelby.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:13 PM
66 mustang

i thort

the 66 was only V8, 6 cyl was65?
Doh
russ
Old 12-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoTFrenzel
While you are there, do the upper control arm drop a la Shelby.

If you only make one mod it should be this one! Dropping that CA will make a lot of difference and costs nothing except a little time.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinny
the 66 was only V8, 6 cyl was65?
Doh
russ
Ford put a six cylinder in every year of Mustang made, except the 74 model year which only had a 2.3 four.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

We are in the process of building a 66 Mustang for my daughter.We took the front suspension and cross member from a Pinto and it worked out very nice.Now it has rack and pinion steering and the 350 tuned port and 700R4 fits with no problem. It also let us get rid of those ugly shock towers.We picked up the Pinto for $100.00 so it was a cheap swap. If you want a bolt in swap I was told that a disc brake Granada works.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:09 PM
66 mustang

thanx merc

u learn sumfin evryday eh? neva knew that,thort only the 6 was in the 65 1/2 stang,neva seen a 6 in a later version,but bow to ur knowledge
******* Russ lol

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.