66 Nova Chevelle Malibu - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 AM
brains

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

66 Nova Chevelle Malibu

I have been thinking about getting another project car and have been looking at some cars in the 62-67 range. I have always been into Fords and dont know much about chevy's so I hope this isnt a stupid question.
What is the difference between a 60's nova and the chevelle. They seem to look the same. Are they the same body or frame? Why are some called SS or Malibu or Chevy2. Im a little confused with all this.
Also I am wanting to build something to stock specs. Im NOT looking for a race car and I dont want something that is so rare it costs 20K for a pile of rust that someone thinks is gold. Im going to assume that a project bigblock car is going to be expensive. Any suggestions on an affordable model?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Differences

The Nova was the econobox of the day and the Chevelle was the midsize of the day..Nova's have a hybrid sort of unibody with the front frame clip bolted on..the chevelle has a full frame to it..

The chevelle is to me much better if you are going big block..more room to work and big blocks were available from the factory so stock mounts and such can be had..Chevelle chassis are the metric style and there are a lot of good chassis parts for those..Not to say the nova is not a cool car as well..

Unless you are stuck on one over the other either would be a good project and make a nice rig..just pick one to start with that is not a complete rust bucket and is as much as possible all there..

OMT
Old 03-16-2005, 09:14 AM
brains

Last photo:

What do you think a project car that has a bigblock "code" is going to cost. I know its hard to guess, just looking for a ballpark idea of what I should spend.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Codes

Myslef I would not be too concerned about codes unless it is desired to do the collector car deal..I woudl be looking for a car in good shape as far as rust and completeness is concerned..

I think around here and TBH I have not looked all that hard a good project car can be found for any where from 1000-1500 to 3000-4000 depends on what one wishes to spend and the conditon of the car..For example there is an el camino not far from me for 1000 and it does need some body work but is does seem to be all there and not too bad in the rust dept...tho I have not stopped and given it a close look..

I bleieve it si better for the most of us to find a car that is solid to begin with and build a clone as you can do what you wish with a clone and not worry too much about the money deal..

Doing a collector type with all the correct codes and equipment can get to be a zoo..

Just my opinion here now..

OMT
Old 03-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I'll throw in my $.02 worth, I have owned several of both over the years, my favorites are the Novas. They are several hundred pounds lighter than the Chevelles and there were big block equiped cars from the factory, they are very similar to the Camaro underneth.
One thing about early Chevys any engine and transmission will interchange, some would not make sense to but you could put the same turbo 400 behind a straight six or a big block.
You cant go wrong with either car.
This is a link to a online car for sale site, you can find extreames of either model and see what they are asking for them.
http://www.cars-on-line.com/index.html
Old 03-18-2005, 06:52 AM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

if you want to know what a car is worth I find ebay is a great place to go. you search for the type of car you want and find the ones in your condition and they usually sell for top dollar as there are so many people watching. You should be able to decide if you are getting a deal based on these values and if you find a car locally you should be able to get it cheaper than the average you see on ebay. then again if you see a car you like, can afford it and are happy with the price then that is what really matters. Set your budget and go hunting. One thing I have noticed with ebay is that you can find some pretty decent drivers with some nice mods for way less than you will spend to build from scratch. I have been searching for a 69 Camaro for ever and am seriously considering just buying a good runner as the restorable's are getting really expensive. I was watching a factory big block camaro with no power train and a really rough body with a bid of 7500 and time left on the auction! Good luck

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.