66 Nova starting out - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 11:57 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i believe i saw a kit from global west that locked out the lower suspension alignment cam and put longer upper bolts to allow modern style alignment with shims. i will see if i can find the info...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

You don't want to get involved with upper arm shims on an early Nova. It only pushes the upper arm further out exascerbating the camber gain. Global West makes an adjustable lower lockout plate that will suffice for most alignments. If you're set on getting the exact specs, the plates are very easy to make in any configuration you desire. I made some for our 64 Nova road racer that maxed out the camber using the stock suspension arms.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

66 Nova starting out

One thing to remember - this project should be fun. Some people love to start a car and finish everything from suspension to paint and interior before they debut the car. Others start like Nightfire and rebuild the suspension to make their ride safe and drivable and then continue on to make changes as money allows. This way you can enjoy your car and go to some events and discuss with other builders the changes they made and decide what you want to do next. Either way of course, while you are working on your car, you have hotrodders.com builders to answer your questions and by the time you are done you can pass on your new found knowledge to those newbies who come after you.

Nightfire's Journal

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...88&action=view
Old 01-30-2006, 12:58 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustompainter
Thanks for all the info, I am going to stay with the nova suspension on the car.
As for the RESTORING.... I am new to the whole aspect of working on old, vintage, classic ect.. cars I will print off the needed words from the hotrodders dictionary so not to miss use words in the future, so I guess I will be modafixistoring my Nova
Yeah, rolling eyes on the end of that reply was appropriate!
I did say it was a pet peeve. That's mainly because I do a little of both. "Restified" is one of the new words Hot Rod Magazine and such like to throw around. Modified, but staying with a mostly restored look. I just cringe every time I see an ad in the paper that says something like "Restored '57 Chevy. Blown 327, built TH-400 transmission, 9" rear axle, $xx,xxx". That's NOT RESTORED!!

My driver 63 Rambler wagon is way more modified than restored -- 4.6L EFI six, auto OD tranny, and a Jag rear axle, plus newer reclingin power bucket seats. But the body is unmodified, even run stock front suspension with the addition of a custom sway bar. But you'll never hear me call it restored!!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
One thing to remember - this project should be fun. Some people love to start a car and finish everything from suspension to paint and interior before they debut the car. Others start like Nightfire and rebuild the suspension to make their ride safe and drivable and then continue on to make changes as money allows. This way you can enjoy your car and go to some events and discuss with other builders the changes they made and decide what you want to do next. Either way of course, while you are working on your car, you have hotrodders.com builders to answer your questions and by the time you are done you can pass on your new found knowledge to those newbies who come after you.
this statement is sooo true.... fun should be first and formost... if i didn't take the car apart, i probably would have enjoyed it more like my friend is now... we just put the engine into his wagon and now it is running.... while mine still sits waiting for paint, then assembly. all his needs now is a little patch panels here and there, then a quick spray and more enjoyment.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:55 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Well, I think home brew has it right too, but it can go both ways! I enjoyed my first few cars. They were in reasonably good condition (61-63 model Ramblers) body wise -- straight and little if any rust. Mechanically they needed help, along with interior and paint (and minor body work). The original engines were in decent running condition, so I ran them for a while until I decided how I wanted to go.

The last car I built I took all the way apart and went over. I wanted to do everything right, and I had the money to do most right from the start due to an accident with the previous car (hit and totaled, after about a month of arguing and complaining about the ins. co. to the state ins. commission, I got a reasonable settlement). Having most of the money to start with was the big impetus there -- this was the first time I didn't have to save a bit along to do the work. If I'd taken my previous car apart itwould have taken three years to get built. I certainly enjoyed driving it over that time rather than having it apart in the shop! I struggled to get the last car built in eight months (while working a full time job). That I don't want to do again! I'll build another and take more time, I wanted to finish the last in time for the Hot Rod Power Tour that year (it was passing within an hour from my home for the first time!), but missed it by a couple months. Good thing I got it together though. I'm military, and got orders to move when the car was still four months from being finished. Luckily the orders were eight months in advance.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
The last car I built I took all the way apart and went over. I wanted to do everything right, and I had the money to do most right from the start due to an accident with the previous car (hit and totaled, after about a month of arguing and complaining about the ins. co. to the state ins. commission, I got a reasonable settlement). Having most of the money to start with was the big impetus there -- this was the first time I didn't have to save a bit along to do the work. If I'd taken my previous car apart itwould have taken three years to get built. I certainly enjoyed driving it over that time rather than having it apart in the shop! I struggled to get the last car built in eight months (while working a full time job). That I don't want to do again! I'll build another and take more time, I wanted to finish the last in time for the Hot Rod Power Tour that year (it was passing within an hour from my home for the first time!), but missed it by a couple months. Good thing I got it together though. I'm military, and got orders to move when the car was still four months from being finished. Luckily the orders were eight months in advance.

one day i would like to attend the power tour... but i got all that ocean in front of me first... but that is some incentive... and getting orders to move before your project is done... man that must suck.... i have seen some cars here at the local bases get auctioned off for beans because the owner had to leave the project mid stroke.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.