Hot Rod Forum banner

66 Stang body uneven?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  johnnyr3 
#1 ·
Just got the car running and took her out on the road... couple issues.

1) Seems like tires may be rubbing wheelwell in the rear end when I turn. Would new leaf springs correct this or should I be looking at something else. Rear tires are 255x60x15. These should fit fine, so I don't know what the problem could be.
2) Front of front left tire seems to be a lot closer to the fender than the right side. Is this most likely attributed to a poorly installed fender? Or is there a chance that somehow spacing is off on something? Fron tires are 235x60x15.

Thx.

#2 ·
My brother owns a Mustang but I am not that experienced in them- I would think springs, shocks would help stiffen the rear and keep your tires spced better- as far as front, My old Henry J was WAY off from the factory- they made a lot of stuff individually and could have had it tweaked out from day one... Hopefully there hasn't been damage in the past to have caused your problems. If the wheel alignment is okay- I'd say just try another adjustment of fender. Good luck!

#3 ·
Here are some things to check. The rear end should relatively stay put if pushed side to side. If not look at springs and shackles. Often people put long shackles on the correct for weak rear springs. The shackles allow the rear axle and springs to move side to side. The springs will not likely allow the vehicle to move side to side on their own. The tires rubbing may be from it being too low.
On the front end check the braces that are supposed to run from the shock tower to the firewall area. If they are bent, most likely something else is also. These cars have been known to bend on the shock tower from stress and accidents. There is relatively limited adjustment on the fenders from front to back. If everything else looks right, then measure from the door edge to the front of the tires on both sides with the tires straight. String the tires to make sure they are straight with the rear tires before measuring. That should tell you something. Good Luck.

#4 ·
If you are running 15 in. wheels the largest front tire size should be 15X7 4.250 backspace 225/60/15.This will work well in the front and rear.However if you want to go larger in the rear, you can run 15X8 4.5 in. backspace and the widest tire should be 235/60/15. Anything larger than that and you will run into problems.

#5 ·
They are narrow and if someone has installed a '67 -'70 9" for the strength it will even be worse. We used to build fat flairs (ala trans am) to get clearance for wide meats. But with the wheel availability now you should be able to get a set that fits. Check out Mustangs Plus in Ca, they have all sorts of stuff created for early 'stangs and use it in their builds to show how well things fit.

#7 ·
65 Mustang

:p I just bought a 65 mustang and i ran into a couple of problems trying to get it running. My old C4 transmission keeps leaking from the dipstick tube can anybody tell me a quick fix for this or do i have to replace the whole tube. Also I just put some new wheels and tires on the car and my rear end looks like it's uneven, the driver side is pushed in about 1 inch more than the passenger side. I anyone knows a lt about these cars please help me out. thank you.

john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.