Hot Rod Forum banner

66 suburban HELP!!

946 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 ·
I have a 66 suburban with a straight six 292. When I bought it came with a four speed tranny. I hoping someone out there knows of an Automatic tranny that will work. Please let me know. Also im looking into dropping a 93' 350 ??? into my 93 s10(Carburetor not FI). Any recommendations on what 350 I should drop in. Thank you

Anthony

#2 ·
350nS10,

I think you want to keep the 292 and add an automatic. The only automatic that might bolt to your engine would be an aluminum power glide. But you will need to make most of your own parts like drive shafts and trany mounts maybe a park brake cable attachment bracket. I have never seen a 292 with an automatic maybe somebody has but not me. I think if you dropped a V8 engine with a matching transmission you would have a more reliable rig. Find a wrecked car with good running gear and buy it cheap.

Good Luck
Scholman

#4 ·
Any automatic that will bolt to a Chevy V8 will bolt to a Chevy 292. You will need to get a crossmember for an automatic, an automatic column/shift linkage (or a floor shifter), a block-mounted starter, a trans cooler of some kind, & some provision for kickdown linkage & modulator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.