66783 Proform Rocker Stud Puller and Tap guide? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

66783 Proform Rocker Stud Puller and Tap guide?

How does this thing work/how do you use it? It looks like a piece of bar stock with 2 holes drilled in it and a loose fitting pin, I can't really see how it would either help pull a stud or tap a stud boss... what am I missing?

http://proformparts.com/product-exec...category_id/67

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I have one like it from Goodson. You use it to tighten down against when using a nut and washers to pull studs out, then you use it as a guide when tapping the holes for screw-in studs. The pin fits snugly in the holes the studs are pulled out of.

tom
Old 12-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

Is it worth the effort?

I usually use stack a few exhaust valve rotators on there and it gives me a pretty much frictionless surface to turn the nut against, and I don't know that that would guide the tap accurately enough (I would normally just set it up on a drill press or mill to run the tap, if you're using studs with a hex on them you need to mill down the bosses anyway).

If it gives you accurate straight threads without the setup involved in getting the angle right on a mill or drill press, it might be worth the time saved...

The reason I'm looking for stud pullers is that I have a set of heads that have 2, maybe more monkeyed up studs that I don't believe I'll be able to pull by threading a nut on them, I don't know that I can even get the existing nut off of one of them, and I don't really know yet how I'm going to get them out.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback
Is it worth the effort?

I usually use stack a few exhaust valve rotators on there and it gives me a pretty much frictionless surface to turn the nut against, and I don't know that that would guide the tap accurately enough (I would normally just set it up on a drill press or mill to run the tap, if you're using studs with a hex on them you need to mill down the bosses anyway).

If it gives you accurate straight threads without the setup involved in getting the angle right on a mill or drill press, it might be worth the time saved...

The reason I'm looking for stud pullers is that I have a set of heads that have 2, maybe more monkeyed up studs that I don't believe I'll be able to pull by threading a nut on them, I don't know that I can even get the existing nut off of one of them, and I don't really know yet how I'm going to get them out.
you can cut the top of the stud off and retap the lower section to fit a nut on, you can also try drilling them out with a bit that is slightly smaller than the stud, you better have it braced really well and perfectly centered and aligned though.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:55 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

If I have a stud that's not going to pull out, I cut it off near flush with the guide boss, grind it until it is flush and square with the guide boss, a drill it out with progressively bigger drill bits until it spins out.

tom
Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
you can cut the top of the stud off and retap the lower section to fit a nut on, you can also try drilling them out with a bit that is slightly smaller than the stud, you better have it braced really well and perfectly centered and aligned though.
Um, those studs are pretty hard, what kind of die are you using to cut the thread with? I was also under the impression that it is not a normal 3/8" fine thread, it's a finer pitch (I remember trying to find a matching nut and wasn't able to)
Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback
Um, those studs are pretty hard, what kind of die are you using to cut the thread with? I was also under the impression that it is not a normal 3/8" fine thread, it's a finer pitch (I remember trying to find a matching nut and wasn't able to)
They are hardened only on the outside. You can use a cut-off disc in a die grinder. Any die will cut extra threads on the stud.

The threads are 3/8x24. I use connecting rod nuts.

tom

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.