67 396 valve job. Not sure about Machine Shops Answer - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresi View Post
This is a busy time of year for a good machine shop. People have their tax refund in hand an want to get their race motors done. If he has time to set around give him some more time to set around by finding another shop. Even are local parts store that sen all of their machine work off to it's corporate machine shop an hour and a half away would give you a better deal.
Tresi:
thanks !
I am going to return the valve spring compressor I borrowed from
my local store and will ask them.
Dom

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
offer 112cc heads. what size are you looking for?
another by product of buying brand new aluminum heads
less weight
more power

hope thats not a problem?
Would love to have aluminum heads. Especially if I could keep the compression.
The heads I have now are 98.427cc with domed pistons, which keeps the compression up.
More cc's will lower it. And, I would have to take the whole thing apart
to see what else is in there. Over my head and maybe my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hopewell, Va
Age: 62
Posts: 1,168
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 117 Times in 113 Posts
67 396 valve job. Not sure about Machine Shops Answer

Dom, Check out these new aluminum heads from GM Parts Direct. They have 110 cc semi-open chambers. Also the valves are 2.19/1.88. GM Parts Direct: Search results The only other manufacturer that has a 100 cc chamber is Edelbrock 350-604719 from Jegs. The only problem I see is you don't know what camshaft you have to get the right springs. Take the camshaft out inspect it for part numbers if none take it to a machine shop to be measured.

Last edited by cdminter59; 03-24-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,429
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 292
Thanked 708 Times in 683 Posts
I would leave the worms in a can,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
Dom, Check out these new aluminum heads from GM Parts Direct. They have 110 cc semi-open chambers. Also the valves are 2.19/1.88. GM Parts Direct: Search results The only other manufacturer that has a 100 cc chamber is Edelbrock 350-604719 from Jegs. The only problem I see is you don't know what camshaft you have to get the right springs. Take the camshaft out inspect it for part numbers if none take it to a machine shop to be measured.
As vinnykg2 suggests, I think I'm going to leave the can of worms closed.
The engine worked well before I put it to sleep and it's getting more and
more expensive to wake up. I think I'm going to do the least that I can, but make sure it's reliable, and wait on going bigger.

Thank you for the GM site. It is a very good site to look through.
I'll save it for hopefully going bigger in the future.
Dom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I would leave the worms in a can,,,
I think I'm going to leave this can closed ! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,694
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 404 Times in 349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom L View Post
Hi all.
Had the heads from my 67 396 to a machine shop for a price on valve seats and/or guides. Price for the 3 angle valve job is $ 530.00. New seats, $ 30 - 40 per. His suggestion was to only change the exhaust side.
I don't really know where to go with this. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dom
Don't know where you live but if that's 530 dollars just for shooting 16 seats at 3 angles that's about twice the price. If it includes 16 new guides and 8 exhaust hard seats plus cleaning and magnaflux it's actually a darn good price.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
Don't know where you live but if that's 530 dollars just for shooting 16 seats at 3 angles that's about twice the price. If it includes 16 new guides and 8 exhaust hard seats plus cleaning and magnaflux it's actually a darn good price.

Bogie
Bogie:
Would you be able to explain a little for me ?
cminter59 uggested newer heads. My understanding is/was, if I change the cc's from my original 98.4 to 11_ whaterver, I would be losing compression.
I can understand that. But, is that true ? Or, can I go with a set of heads with a higher number of cc's ?

Anyone else's comments are most certainly welcome also.

Thanks,
Dom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2014, 11:51 AM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,088
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 24
Thanked 258 Times in 242 Posts
One of the pitfalls of building a 396 based engine is the lack of availability of small chamber heads. The aftermkt is supplying heads based on the 112-122 big bore chambers. The 396 requires the small chambers to make compression/power. Larger chambers on a small bore require huge domes that then screw up flame travel and open up another separate can of worms.

Take a lesson from small block engines.. 76 chamber/big dome vs. 58 chamber/flat top pistons. Same approx. compression ratio, but different fuel/air/timing requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toledo, N.W.Ohio, USA
Posts: 862
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 73 Times in 71 Posts
. Yes, you lose compression ratio, MPG, and possibly power with bigger cc heads, depending on how well the new heads flow air... and whether 'fast burn' combustion chambers... but bigger chambers may allow running on lower priced pump gas instead of race or boosted gas...

. Someone hinted $500 will nearly buy a pair of new aluminum big block heads... LOL! ... Way off! ... Maybe a great swap meet score...

. So far, you really don't know what you're comparing... would need to get an itemized list of just what the guy will do for X price... just because he's slow in winter doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is doing... although it's often good to ask where your buddies went and if they are satisfied...

. And, like you say, if it's running OK for now, passes compression gauge testing, no oil smoke, not fouling plugs, maybe let it go for a few more years... just enjoy it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLOL View Post
. Yes, you lose compression ratio, MPG, and possibly power with bigger cc heads, depending on how well the new heads flow air... and whether 'fast burn' combustion chambers... but bigger chambers may allow running on lower priced pump gas instead of race or boosted gas...

. Someone hinted $500 will nearly buy a pair of new aluminum big block heads... LOL! ... Way off! ... Maybe a great swap meet score...

. So far, you really don't know what you're comparing... would need to get an itemized list of just what the guy will do for X price... just because he's slow in winter doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is doing... although it's often good to ask where your buddies went and if they are satisfied...

. And, like you say, if it's running OK for now, passes compression gauge testing, no oil smoke, not fouling plugs, maybe let it go for a few more years... just enjoy it...
I am leaning more and more in that direction. New guides and seats whick should include the valve job (It's a 67) and let it go at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
One of the pitfalls of building a 396 based engine is the lack of availability of small chamber heads. The aftermkt is supplying heads based on the 112-122 big bore chambers. The 396 requires the small chambers to make compression/power. Larger chambers on a small bore require huge domes that then screw up flame travel and open up another separate can of worms.

Take a lesson from small block engines.. 76 chamber/big dome vs. 58 chamber/flat top pistons. Same approx. compression ratio, but different fuel/air/timing requirements.
Eventually, I will go bigger. For now, as buzz suggested, I'm going to put it back together and enjoy it. That will give me more time to build a 454 correctly sometime in the future.
Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all !

You all hava been hugely helpful !
At this poing, the can of worms will remain closed and after new guides & seats, it's going back together to enjoy for a few more years.

Thany you all again !
Dom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toledo, N.W.Ohio, USA
Posts: 862
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 73 Times in 71 Posts
. BTW, the bigger chamber heads can be milled to make them smaller chambers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hopewell, Va
Age: 62
Posts: 1,168
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 117 Times in 113 Posts
67 396 valve job. Not sure about Machine Shops Answer

Dom, I am thinking that your pistons are the old seal power or speed pro domed pistons. They probably have a piston head volume of -21.00. If I run some figures thru the KB calculator https://www.uempistons.com/index.php...tors&type=comp) with your 98cc heads I get 10.254 for the Static Compression Ratio. You definitely would have to mix racing gas to keep from detonating. With either of the aluminum heads you could run 93 octane pump gas. With the GM heads and a .027 thick head gasket you would have 9.155 S.C.R. You could use 87-91 octane gas. Edelbrock 100cc chamber heads would give you 10.051 S.C.R. which you would still run 93 octane pump gas. BTW you would have to choose a new cam with an intake closing point to give you a 8.2- 8.5 DCR. Your quench on your engine is probably .054-.066 which isn't good. Most engine builders set the quench at .035-.045. You mill the top of the block and choose the right thickness head gaskets to get this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Machine Shops in AR or MO Wmarden Engine 7 03-15-2012 09:19 AM
Machine shops, can't live with em spinn Engine 11 01-26-2011 02:48 AM
What do I take to the machine shop for a valve job? panzercannon01 Engine 3 06-11-2009 04:58 AM
bogus machine shops? briced Engine 11 10-23-2008 06:46 PM
Machine Shops TORI1 Engine 0 04-10-2007 09:51 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.