67-68 Ford Mustang Tilt Rebuild Kit or Column needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Dan & Shirley's 29 Ford

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

67-68 Ford Mustang Tilt Rebuild Kit or Column needed

I have a 29 Ford street rod that has been completed but I still need to redo the tilt as it will not lock in any position but full up. With the angle of the column this still looks OK. I have been looking for these parts for some years now. This columns are hard to find so are too costly to try as it may also be worn out when I get it apart.

Please help. (My car is listed in the photo Gallery "Dan and Shirley's 29 Ford"

Thanks,

Dan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Seems like you can get or have that mustang column re-built, Have you check or thought about ididit or flaming river products or maybe they could do a re-build on it also or point you in the direction you need.
Have you tried to google it and see whats out there ?

Cole
Old 12-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Dan & Shirley's 29 Ford

Last photo:

29 ford needs Mustang Tilt Repair Kit

Hey, thanks for the comments. I have been looking for a kit so I can rebuild the locking mech. I have found used columns I could salavage some parts from on eBey. ($400.00 to 1300.00) I had to modify the column when I installed the steering. So the after market Flaming River / other after market columns are costly and will have to be modified to be able for me to install with out getting into a big trashing on a finished car.

Thanks again at least some one read my note.

Dan Connell
Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 AM

Last photo:

Check the local bone yards ...$400-$1300??? for a donor column? You can buy a brand new Ididit tilt column to fit your car for about $325 on ebay. I'd do some shopping.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:07 PM

68 Tilt

There are no rebuild kits available for this column. There are only a few parts available either. (Upper Bearing, lower bearing, TS switch). There are one or two people in the country who specialize in rebuilding these columns. They are not cheap however. IOt requires specialized tools that are not available either. As you have seen on e-bay used columns, even crappy one go for big bucks. I am currently rebuilding one for my 68 Mustang so I feel your pain. At this point your best bet might be an aftermarket column or a later model with more parts availability. Do you have a 67 solid shaft column or the 68 collapsable one? If you decide to go with a different column, let me know I might need some parts off your current one which could help offset the costs of a new column.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Dan & Shirley's 29 Ford

Last photo:

67 -68 Steering Column Repair

Ok! thanks for your input. I will keep you in mind if I change out the current column. My mustang column is OK except for the column will not latch in any position except full up. The machine shop that did the rework (shorting and 3/4 DD) on the end of the shaft lost a part in the latching on the right side that holds it in the position. The wheel lays over to the left side when it is positioned in any of the other that full up lock.I modified the column when I installed it with a molded 6" drop and a mounting plate to securer it to the floor. It is a 67 Column.

Thanks again I will let you know if I pull it out.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade
There are no rebuild kits available for this column. There are only a few parts available either. (Upper Bearing, lower bearing, TS switch). There are one or two people in the country who specialize in rebuilding these columns. They are not cheap however. IOt requires specialized tools that are not available either. As you have seen on e-bay used columns, even crappy one go for big bucks. I am currently rebuilding one for my 68 Mustang so I feel your pain. At this point your best bet might be an aftermarket column or a later model with more parts availability. Do you have a 67 solid shaft column or the 68 collapsable one? If you decide to go with a different column, let me know I might need some parts off your current one which could help offset the costs of a new column.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lconnell
I have a 29 Ford street rod that has been completed but I still need to redo the tilt as it will not lock in any position but full up. With the angle of the column this still looks OK. I have been looking for these parts for some years now. This columns are hard to find so are too costly to try as it may also be worn out when I get it apart.

Please help. (My car is listed in the photo Gallery "Dan and Shirley's 29 Ford"

Thanks,

Dan

Where are the photos? Provide me the links if they are already posted...
Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Dan & Shirley's 29 Ford

Last photo:

67 Mustang Tilt in a 29 Ford Street Rod

Click on my name and itwill take you to my photo gallery.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 PM

Tilt

What type tilt do you have on it? The pic is too small to tell.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Dan & Shirley's 29 Ford

Last photo:

67 Mustang / Cougar tilt Column repir kit needed

The column is a 67 Mustang / Cougar tilt. I molded a 6" drop into the column.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Dan & Shirley's 29 Ford

Last photo:

Added Construction Photo

Here is a beeter photo of the steering column.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Tilt repairs

I don't see your new photo, it appartently didn't upload. I have some sources for the tilt parts. Do you know what piece is missing?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:14 AM

Last photo:

I second give IDIDIT a call. They are manufacturing new columns to fit the Mustangs. They might have a source for these parts or be able to point you in the right directions. They are a family business and good folks to deal with.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM

Ididit columns

The Ididit columns are complete new designs based. None of the parts they produce will be of any use in the 67 Mustang column. They would make a nice alternative if you wanted to swap out the column altogether.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade
The Ididit columns are complete new designs based. None of the parts they produce will be of any use in the 67 Mustang column. They would make a nice alternative if you wanted to swap out the column altogether.
What you say is true, but these folks are really customer oriented. If anyone can source these parts, it would be them.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.