'67 Camaro, 327 rebuild for gas mileage - Help - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 05:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

To be honest if you rebuild the motor to almost orgional specs and drive the car easy you will get pretty good gas mileage out of old technology. I rebuilt the motor on my 63 impala with a 327 back in 82. The motor was built to 300HP specs. I have a 600 CFM holley carb and only 2 years ago converted the ignition to pertronix from points. Also I see another post in regards to small valves, this car has the 2.02 fuelie heads on it. The car has a M20 4 speed and 3.36 rears. I have over 150,000 miles on this motor since I rebuilt it. This car wieghs with me in it almost 4,000lb. When the care is driven easy not stomping on the pedal the car will get 15-16 miles around town and on the highway she will gets between 21-22 miles cruising at 70-75 mph. One time on a trip from NY to Rhode Island with 3 passangers the car got 23 1/2 miles to the gallon. Also I take this car to the track from time to time. While by no means a fast car, it still runs in the high 14's. To sum up what I am saying is that if you don't go crazy on the rebuild and drive it with some common sense you will get a great return on mileage. As for fuel injection and the overdrive transmissions while there is something to be had out of that there is the cost factor, is it going to bring you that much in return of mileage to pay for itself in the next 5-10 years.
Another example of good mileage out of stock equipment is a own another boat a 59 ford galaxie with a 292 and a 2 speed automatic all stock and it gets even better mileage around town no less than 16, while highway is about the same.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 05:21 AM

To be honest if you rebuild the motor to almost orgional specs and drive the car easy you will get pretty good gas mileage out of old technology. I rebuilt the motor on my 63 impala with a 327 back in 82. The motor was built to 300HP specs. I have a 600 CFM holley carb and only 2 years ago converted the ignition to pertronix from points. Also I see another post in regards to small valves, this car has the 2.02 fuelie heads on it. The car has a M20 4 speed and 3.36 rears. I have over 150,000 miles on this motor since I rebuilt it. This car wieghs with me in it almost 4,000lb. When the care is driven easy not stomping on the pedal the car will get 15-16 miles around town and on the highway she will gets between 21-22 miles cruising at 70-75 mph. One time on a trip from NY to Rhode Island with 3 passangers the car got 23 1/2 miles to the gallon. Also I take this car to the track from time to time. While by no means a fast car, it still runs in the high 14's. To sum up what I am saying is that if you don't go crazy on the rebuild and drive it with some common sense you will get a great return on mileage. As for fuel injection and the overdrive transmissions while there is something to be had out of that there is the cost factor, is it going to bring you that much in return of mileage to pay for itself in the next 5-10 years.
Another example of good mileage out of stock equipment is a own another boat a 59 ford galaxie with a 292 and a 2 speed automatic all stock and it gets even better mileage around town no less than 16, while highway is about the same.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 PM

While I don't have the knowledge to fill my post with heaps of specs and such, I can share what experience I have here. I've driven several SBC powered vehicles, but the one that comes to mind here is the 74 1/2 ton pickup I had just before I got married. It had a fairly stock but well-built 350 and stock TH350 trans. If I remember right, I ran that engine a good 100k miles and it still ran great when I sold it. When I first put the engine together, it was my toy, so I went overboard with the cam and carb. It had lots of power, but the holley carb was trouble to keep running, and it sucked a lot of gas. After I was married, it went from toy to daily driver status, and cash flow was severly cut. So began my quest for gas mileage. I tried several cams and ended up with a remake (by Crane?) of the 300hp 327 cam. For carb, I ran a stock Q-Jet with slightly smaller jets (typically used with 305 engines) and an extra tall open filter. The intake was a weiand (action plus?) that was close to stock intake. I ran one of those big accel super hei coils with stock hei distributor that I had recurved myself (trial & error). Exhaust was hooker headers and generic turbo mufflers and 2 inch pipes all the way out the back. I can't remember what kind of fan it had for sure, but seems like it was stock with fan clutch. Also, I had the alternator retrofitted with larger than stock pulley - slows alternator rpm and decreases alternator load.

Out of all the tweeks and mods I did to gain gas mileage, I think the one thing that made the most difference was when I put torque-plus intake gaskets on it. These have a screen across the intake opening. Maybe not so good for a high rpm engine, but they really improved bottom-end. Jegs used to have them for SBC, but I only saw for Chrysler now.

Anyways, to sum it up, this pickup used to get 20-25 mpg highway without an overdrive trans or electronic fuel injection. I could see possible better mileage out of a Camaro with a similar built engine simply because of aerodynamics.

Oh, and don't go overboard on high rear-end gears. When I bought this pickup, it had really high gears (2.90 or something) that really bogged it down. I found a rearend with original locking diff and 3.55 or so gears in a salvage yard and swapped it out. The lower gears actually increased gas mileage, probably because I wasn't into the gas as much to get it to accelerate. Also, though take into consideration this was a pickup with A/T tires that were probably a lot taller than what you have on your Camaro...
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snesral
After I was married, it went from toy to daily driver status, and cash flow was severly cut.
Once again a Hot Rodder proves that the old addatage, "two can live as cheaply as one", is pure bunk.

Bogie
Old 08-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,141 Times in 940 Posts
They can, if one of them doesn't eat.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.