67 Camaro Ignition system - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 04:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

67 Camaro Ignition system

Hey everyone I have yet another question but this one concerns a 67 Camaro ignition system from the wire harness on the firewall engine side. On a 67 camaro from the engine compartment side of the wire harness there is a cloth 20AGW white\orange wire that went to some kind of white resistor then it goes from there changes to purple and goes to the (+) side of the coil a yellow wire then goes to the solenoid from there. I have a crate motor with a MSD probilett dist. At one point I had bypassed the white\orange wire and went from the fuse box where the white\orange wire tied in and used another wire to go to the (+) side of the coil. I do not like that particular setup but it works. I would like to know if I can use this white\orange wire without that resistor and go to the positive side of the coil removing the bypass wire I put in its place a few years earlier. My logic is the white\orange is an ignition wire and it is in great shape so why not use it instead of the bypass I have setup. The unknown is that white resistor block, what exactly is that and can I omit this resister thing without frying something in the harness. I would appreciate any assist with this once again thank you all for all the support you gave me in the past and I think I have resolved the cross member issue.

Advertisement

Last edited by Blue67Camaro; 01-17-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 04:59 PM

the 67 should not have a resistor . The cloth covered wire is a resistor , follow it back and cut it off and reconnect from that point or safe it off and do what you did .
Old 01-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

Justold, sure they do well at least the one I have did as did my 67 RS but I do not know why and as I look at the wiring diagram I don't see it so you may be correct in saying they don't. Logic tells me there shouldn't be an issue with using this white\orange wire and remove the bypass wire, thank you for the advise I appreciate it.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

Camaro Ignition

I don't remember a camaro having a resister in the ign. system. Earlier models chevy's did to cut down the power to the points, but they went to a low resistance wire and didn't need it. the wire to the sol. is to put 12 volts to the system when cracking (starting) the engine, and when you release the key (from start) it ran off the other wire on the plus side of the coil with a lower voltage. You should be able to run the wire from the lgn. switch to the plus. I'd disconnect it and turn on the switch and check the voltage, next remove the wire to the sol. ,replace the ign. wire and try starting it. If it works, let the "BIG DOG EAT"
Old 01-17-2008, 05:18 PM

Last photo:

Lanierledford

this is an early model 67 Camaro so what your saying is I should go with the cloth or low resistance white\orange wire and take away the bypass wire I put in it's place and I should be good, am I understanding correctly? but before I do go ahead and check the voltage coming off that wire, thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:46 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

MSD requires at least 13.25 volts to work correctly. Check that orange/white wire while running for it's amount of voltage against your fused connection, and use the higher voltage wire.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:54 AM

Last photo:

Carsavvycook

I don't beleive I will get that much voltage from a steel wire. I was also thinking of just pulling that resistor wire from the harness and replacing it in the harness with a standard 14AGW wire that way I could free up the fused connection point if I need it and still have a functional wire in the harness bundle what your thoughts on that move. I also have 2 dummy light leads I'm not using in this bundle one is for the temp light the other is for the oil pressure light. So these 3 wires are in my harness not being used. In anycase do you or anyone think pulling this white\orange resistor wire and replacing it with a standard copper wire will work. Again my logic is this ties into the ignition system and from the back side of the fuse box this white\orange wire goes to I beleive a purple 12 gauge wire I think it is. All I have done was take a 10 or 12 gauge wire from the fuse box at the "ING" location and went to the + side of the coil and from the coil to the selonoid. I would like to think by replacing the white\orange with an upgraded wire then I should logically accomplish the same result as I do with the one I placed in the car from the fuse box. I want to thank everyone for responding and please let me know you thoughts on this as I am no expert when it comes to electrical wiring no matter how simple this seems on a 67 camaro.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

If that wire does tie into a 12 gauge wire, that would be a good connection (clean looking). I always run 12 gauge power wires to MSD products, because the wire ussualy is making a run of around 5 feet. That way I am assured I will get ample voltage. Also keep in mind MSD likes the spark plug gap @ .050 minimum to .060 maximum.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

carsavvycook

I would like to think the wire is connected on the inside behind the fuse box to a 12 guage wire for the ignition system which makes me think that replacing the white\orange wire with a wire of the same value and your right give it a cleaner factory look and remove the jumper. I didn't realize the gap needed to be set @ 50 on the plugs the motor I have is a crate motor from a very reputable dealer I will check the gap and I'm will to say he has them set the way they need to be. Hey I'm no electrical guy I can tell you that all I'm going off of is common sense and logical thinking could be bad though. Do you happen to know what GM named the male connectors in the wire harness block where these wire blog into the plastic housing because if I do swap the wire out and I break this connector trying to remove it from the white\orange wire I would like to have new ones to put back also what type of sealer is used on the back side of the plastic connection block is that just regular black silicon sealer. Thanks for the assist I appreciate it very much.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:14 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Could you post a picture of the connector? I don't recall exactly what it looks like. The substance the factory used was more the consistency of tar, really gooey. Black silicone will work.

Sorry for the delay in , I just had that 1973 Corvette in my pictures here to check for a power steering leak.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

Yes I will put Photos of the harness in question with the resistor wire in my profile
Old 01-18-2008, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

I think I found out what the terminal is called if anyone knows if this is correct please let me know the terminal looks like a Metri-Pack 630 series 12-10 GA female terminal. Also if anyone know weather I can take the ballest resistor wire off the harness and place a 12-10 gauge wire in its place and go to the + on the coil instead of using the jumper I have from the fuse box which comes from the ignition post on the fuse box to the + on the coil please chime in. I would love to hear your input.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 08:56 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Yes you can. Do it and enjoy the ride.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Carsavvycook

So this can be done with no problems, correct? hey I looked at your photos nice dragster. Thanks for the assist Carsavvycook I will go ahead and make the connection. I was able to remove the terminal without hurting it and so I will us it I will also go with a 12AWG wire that should be fine I think thanks brother.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:56 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue67Camaro
Carsavvycook

So this can be done with no problems, correct? hey I looked at your photos nice dragster. Thanks for the assist Carsavvycook I will go ahead and make the connection. I was able to remove the terminal without hurting it and so I will us it I will also go with a 12AWG wire that should be fine I think thanks brother.
The dragster is Randy Walls Super Nova 6,500HP Nitro Methane Funny Car. A very good friend of mine.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.