67 Camaro -Valve Train noise after Build - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nice El Camino. Ya something like that. Definately a top side noise "noisy, busy valvetrain" like yours.
Hard to say of my motor is as loud or.... but similar.
Not serious enough to say that the motor is tearing it self apart, but its there.
Similar to what you'd expect from a well adjusted well designed solid lifter street cam.
I switched to a 15W 40 oil from 10W 30 and it helped. I only have about 20lbs oil pressure at idle in gear (800ish rpm) when hot. And 55PSI at and above 2000rpm (hot 180-190deg F water temp.) Stock oil pump. stock Speed Pro HT817 hyd lifters.

Any lifter design with a higher bleed rate is going to be louder at idle.
Mine is not as loud as what you get with Rhoads lifters.

I've heard other motors with hyd flat tappet and hyd roller cams that were actually worse. The Comp pro magnum rockers seem to be a bit louder than others also.
I don't run them thou.

I've had other motors with solid and hyd cams and in this same car so...I have an idea of what is "normal"..for this car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

F-BIRD88
True....it is a roller block with comp cam magnum roller rockers, comp cam xe288hr hydraulic roller cam, and GM OEM hydrauic roller lifters....
Old 06-07-2008, 10:06 AM

67 Camaro - Valve Train noise after build

Guys - thanks a lot for all your responses. I'll try to address the questions/suggestions that have been asked.

I put in the Edelbrock Rollin' Thunder Hydraulic Roller cam package. The intake duration is 234, exhaust 238 at .50" lift. The kit also came with the push rods and lifters. The push rods are the .100 longer than stock. That is the primary reason I put this package in, as more of a novice, I didn't want to run the risk of mixing/matching parts and make a mistake. Originally, I was looking at AFR heads, with a comp cam setup. THe cam package is on Summitracing.com under part number EDL-22015. The heads I put on are the Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads, fully assembled.

My oil pressure seems fine, running it is between 40-50 and at idle (warm), it is over 25-30. I have the original gauge package, so it is hard to tell the exact pressure amount. My oil line comes from the back of the block, directly through the fire wall into my gauge. So, there is nothing at the front of the block.

In regard to a cam button, I didn't know what one was when I started the build, but did in fact put one in. My tolerances are not exact, but it is lightly restraining the cam from moving back and forth. My understanding of a cam button was that it held the cam in place at higher RPM's, where it can jump around. I have no acceleration issues (I may need to re curve my distributor and mess with the timing some) so I don't think that is an issue for me, as this isn't an issue of missing, etc., at idle or in acceleration.

I think a couple items have been presented that could be a problem for me. N-Gin - you mentioned the misalignment of the rocker arm guide plates. Bogie - you mentioned the rocker arm geometry. I can't say I fully understand the rocker arm geometry issues, enough diagnose it, but I am wondering if I could have some issues with mis alignment of the rocker arm guide plates. None appear to be rubbing, they are very close to the push rods, but again, my noise is consistent as Guera65's is across the entire valve train and on each side.

I have noticed that some of my rocker arms are not square, centered on the valve. For example, if a rocker (considered properly set) was at the 12:00 position (referencing a clock for example), I do have some rockers that would be one or two "minutes" past a 12:00 position. Is this an issue, causing excessive rocker noise due to misalignment? I can check again, but I do not believe my push rods are rubbing on the guide plates. This has been a concern, but I did not know if this could be a root cause. When trying to adjust my valves warm (cutting old valve cover, oil clips, etc), I did notice that two of my valves did NOT have oil running over the rocker. These two valves (after pulling the clips) had oil coming through the push rod, but it wasn't' shooting all over. Again, Edelbrock said that this wasn't an issue, that they just needed oil. In talking to a buddy of mine, a guy who knows Chevy's in/out, said he's never seen a rocker not have oil squirting all over the rocker. Little concerning, any input on this would be appreciated. Could this be causing some noise?

The second issue I am tossing around is the pre load. In re reading my instructions, Edelbrock says to put three quarter to a full turn of pre load on the lifter. I have set my pre load at a half turn, tried three quarter turn and nothing changed. An old Chev buddy of mine has told me a few times over the years that he never puts a full turn of pre load on a stock hydraulic lifter, due to concern of burning a valve. However, in talking to him again, he thought that a full turn of pre load might be fine for the hydraulic roller lifters. An article on Chevy Hi Performance a few months ago, said to put one half of turn. Even the TV shows, like HP TV, puts only three quarter turn on the pre load. Any thoughts? I am thinking of going a full turn.

One final question, which nobody seems to be able to answer (Edelbrock, buddies). My motor is running good, etc. Assuming I cannot make this valve train noise disappear (maybe due to roller setup and/or the Comp Magnum rockers as has been suggested) does anybody think that I could be at risk of valve train failure? That is my primary motive here, I really don't want to have that happen, as this build has been long and expensive and I just want to get out there and run this thing.

Again, I appreciate everybody's input.

Rmoore2225
Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

Well I am definatly no expert in engine building I do know a few things and one thing is for sure If it sounds like a loud tick and no other one is doing it, you have a problem. If not adressed it will fail.
Like I said I just put that kit in a engine and it ticked at first but now I adressed the issue of guide plate rubbing the pushrod it does not make a tick sound.
I have the hardend summit pushrods .100 longer. With the aluminum 1.5 roller rockers also Summit. I am runnig 10w30 oil. 32 psi at idle 800rpm.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.