Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   67 chevelle body work question (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/67-chevelle-body-work-question-193555.html)

Chevelle427Rat 02-28-2011 09:24 AM

67 chevelle body work question

I'm sanding getting it ready for paint. My question is do I leave all the fenders and doors and trunk lid on it or tear it apart as far as I can then do the body work? My other question is do I paint all the panels off the car then put it together? I'm new to the paint & body work. Its not a show car by any means but I want a good looking car when I'm done. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Ivan.

oldschool hero 02-28-2011 10:15 AM

If it's not a show car and just a resto, I would NOT take it apart especially if you are novice.

Chevelle427Rat 02-28-2011 10:27 AM

67 chevelle body work

Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm doing a color change and jamming the car. I already have the front clip off and have to put a drivers door on it. I'm not a hacker and want to do it right so I'm 3/4 of the way from having it all tore apart. I hope that better explains it. Thanks. Ivan.

302 Z28 02-28-2011 07:32 PM

Blow it apart that is the only way you can get to everything especially since your doing a color change. There are few things that look as bad as a beautiful paint job with different color areas.

Vince

Chevelle427Rat 02-28-2011 08:09 PM

That's what I was thinking but wanted another opinion. I'm assuming I'm gonna want to paint all the panels off the car as well then put it back together after paint? Thanks. Ivan.

302 Z28 03-01-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevelle427Rat
That's what I was thinking but wanted another opinion. I'm assuming I'm gonna want to paint all the panels off the car as well then put it back together after paint? Thanks. Ivan.

That's correct, but you must be extremely careful reassembling the car.

Vince

Chevelle427Rat 03-01-2011 10:39 AM

67 chevelle bodywork question

Oh I will be very careful! Too much time and money already to be messing it up. Thanks for the great input. Ivan.

Aboven 03-01-2011 01:01 PM

I was all ways told color Chang the whole car comes apart and take lots of pics so it will go back together faster

Chevelle427Rat 03-01-2011 01:36 PM

I'm definitely gonna take lot of pictures. This isn't the first time this car has been apart. I've had since I was 18. Thanks. Ivan.

painted jester 03-01-2011 05:50 PM

dissasemble

I disassemble, do body work,block,primer,seal, wet sand, cut in all jambs and edges and hidden areas with color. When dry I cover all areas not being coated and reassemble then I can repair any scratches or accidents that may happen! MURPHY'S LAW !!! Then I shoot the whole car! If you shoot your parts layed out seperatly around the paint booth( if your not experianced) the odds are when using candys, pollys or metalics, one pass in the wrong direction will change reflectivity (metalics will lay in a different direction reflecting light in a different direction!!!) looking like a different color or a blotch!!! If your expirianced you already know this! hope I helped

Chevelle427Rat 03-01-2011 11:55 PM

That helps a lot! Thanks! Want to primer an d paint it for me? Lol! I'm not painting it. Just trying to save a little dough by doing the grunt work and the body work.

cyclopsblown34 03-02-2011 10:14 AM

Painted Jester is right on the money. Once you have it disassembled, do as Jester said. If you don't have a compressor, have your local paint supplier load some spray cans with the proper color paint and edge it in. You can then have your painter do the outside of the vehicle and be good to go.

painted jester 03-02-2011 06:38 PM

Before you buy materials ask if any one here has used them theres a lot of crap out there now!!! they shouldnt be allowed to sell it!!!! :spank:

Chevelle427Rat 03-02-2011 06:58 PM

Actually I already have the base clear harder primer and sealer. The color I chose was electric blue pearl. The place I got it from mixed the reducer and base together for me. I hope I didn't get a crappy product. I got metalux base and clear and omini primer.

painted jester 03-02-2011 07:12 PM

Omni is reasonably priced and a good product. , all the omni products are good and easy to spray! The products were made for fleets (in & out) :D