Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 67 el camino brakes...
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2002, 05:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

No, don't spend the money on a kit, you don't need to. You need to do some research though. But I believe that you can adapt up to '71 or maybe '72 discs from the front of most of the mid size GM cars (Buick, Pontiac Lemans, Chevelle, Camaro) between '67 and '71. I think you don't have to replace the whole spindle assembly, I believe it splits into two pieces and you use what you have for part of it and the disc units for the other half. I think the difference is how the various cars tie rods connect is the issue, not the brakes and spindles per se. But take some pictures of your car without the brake backing plate on and compare it to some of these cars. You will see that there is great similarity between all these cars front brake systems.

Don't plan on finding a dual wheel cylinder unit from an SS, they have all been pirated long ago.

I converted a set of '69 camaro drums to discs from a '70 or '71 Pontiac F-85 this way. There was no grinding etc, just interchange of parts. You can't do this by using an interchange book because even thought the parts may fit, they were never sold under those part numbers for your car, so you can forget interchange referencing. And further, where the early cars may have offered disc brakes as options, these cars were the first to donate their brakes to another and have been pretty well picked over.

You will need to change your master cylinder because the disc cylinders require a much larger filling volume than the drum brakes. Whatever you use as wheel cylinders, use the master from that car as well. You don't need vacuum assist unless you want to. You can stop without it. It will make your leg strong.

The disc brakes will be about 1 1/2" wider in total width than your drums. If you are thought ful and patient, you can probably do this for $100.

Good luck, this is an easy conversion once you find the pieces.

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: F-1Rodder ]</p>