67 firebird sprint ohc rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 08:36 AM
67RJfirebird

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

67 firebird sprint ohc rebuild

Hello my friends call me RJ I'm new to Hotrodders . I have been building a 1967 Firebird Sprint with ohc 6 with 4 b and 3 speeds on the floor. I found this car in North Province RI while working on a oil heating system for a customer where she sat for many years untouched in a basement garage. It was love at 1st sight.
I was told by the family member who sold me the car. That the owned of the car was his younger brother .Who went into service and never made it home from serving his country, The car had been stored by his parents since 1968 and was un touch Beside only two times, Once when it got stolen from there yard in RI and brought To Boston the And retrieved back by police in early 70s. Then the car was used again 1976 where you can see the last old inspection stick still on the car and old registration in the glove box today from when the older brother put car on the road, Where he used the bird For just that year and began to have engine trouble, most likely from sitting. I find the history of the cars very interesting, Thought i would share. Since the purchase i have had engine rebuilt. However i did not do the rebuild, I had to learn everything about motor because diffident design by Pontiac to locate parts and just know what Iím running. I had to repaint the car do problems that household heating unit caused, So i lost the original paint .I also replace wiring harness. Re carpeted and insulated car, Note found no rust on floorboards or trunk, in fact beside just bit rust in usual places rear quarter panel and front lower quarter panel, I got lucky finding old Gem like this all interior parts was there and in great shape, So side engine it was not a hard restore. I'm not saying i didn't earn my time, because even if it was in great shape all parts I had to remove and re stall to my satisfaction from nose to end.
Well thatís my story, I will post picture for your viewing

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

welcome....Those were fun cars...a friend had one....Most guys ended up ripping out the 6 for a v8......keep yours that way. With todays gas prices, its a good car to have

Budget RVs
Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Welcome to the site.

Cole
Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nifty car. Keep it original.I saw an engine on e bay a while back. Parts are around.Be sure not to overtighten the timing belt. People used to do that and it resulted in a cam locked up in the head after a few minutes of running and pretty much trashed them out. Not meant to scare you by any means , just want to make you aware. Tensioning a belt is not as difficult as one might think, so dont let that worry yourself either.
I would love to see some pics when you get them up. Best of luck.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Welcome!

Had a '68 LeMans w/the Sprint engine. Used to blow people's minds when they saw the Q-jet sitting atop the engine! I also had a 3-speed w/OEM Hurst shifter. Not caring about originality (this was in the early '70's, you could buy these cars anywhere) I quickly replaced the 6 w/a 428 and never looked back. But for its size (250ci/215HP) it ran pretty good.

The OHC engines were known to leak oil. If yours does, it's most likely going to mean replacing the gasket between the block and the "accessory drive" that has the oil pump, fuel pump and distributor drive. While you're there, go ahead and replace that old cam belt- you'll be glad you did.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:45 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

RJ,

Your '67 OHC Firebird sure brings back memories. Dad helped me buy a car for college and my heart was wanting a Sunbeam Tiger, Ford V8 powered British car. His reply was none of our family cars needed a V8 except the one that will be towing our travel trailer. So, I hit him up for a Jag XKE (6 cylinder) and used back then was really cheap, around $2,000.00. No dice, as he said we weren't the Rockefellers. So I did my research and discovered the OHC Firebird, found one with 24,000 miles and a 4 speed, like new condition and bought it for $1,600.00. Great car, with the same hp as a 289 Ford.

One thing you might want to try, if you are using the stock air cleaner, turn the lid upside down and screw back on. This allows the engine to pull filtered air from the 1/2" gap instead of the snorkel, and when the secondaries open up, gives that great secondary growl.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.