'67 Impala 283 in gear sounds like butt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 09:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'67 Impala 283 in gear sounds like butt

It's been quite a while since I've posted on HotRodders since I put my beast into semi-retirement (read: ran out of money), but hopefully someone can help with a rather odd problem... well, at least to me it's odd.

OK, here are the specs FYI:

1967 Impala 4 door sedan
Powerglide 2 speed
Edelbrock 4 bbl 600 cfm carb
2.5" dual exhaust
Electronic Ignition
New fuel pump, alternator, starter, master cylinder, main electrical wires, battery. Plugs/wires about two years old.

In general, the car is fairly reliable. It starts right up, idles really nice, and there are no real clues as to the engine having trouble. That is, of course, until the car is shifted into D, L, or R. Immediately, the engine starts making a rather unhealthy low, stuttering rumbling sound. When in Neutral or Park, it revs exactly as it should. In gear, it sounds like a really crappy bass drum solo, performed by Steve Martin from the first part of "The Jerk." In general the power is completely lacking until it gets up to about 40 mph, after which it seems to even out a little. This occurs regardless of if it has been running for a minute or an hour.

So far, I've checked and adjusted the mixture at the carb, which helped a small amount. The connections of the new exhaust system are tight, and there's no rattle. I've really at a loss as to what to do next. I'm not in a position right now to take it down to a mechanic and spend hundreds of dollars just getting a diagnosis, so for right now I'm hoping someone can provide a few basic things that I can check myself. I have an older Chilton's for the car and a decent set of tools, and if I don't own them I can easily get ahold of them from a friend. Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006, 12:38 PM

Is There A "cat" On The Car??
Old 07-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

No cats on a '67.

Help me a little here.

I am trying to determine if it is an engine problem or a transmission problem or if the sound is an exhaust sound.

You seem to indicate that this is almost a daily driver, or has the car been sitting unused for a period of time?

Did this problem commence suddenly?

Is the sound a metalic sound. Have you checked with a stethoscope? What is its source? Trans or engine?

Is the sound only when idling in gear and then goes away when rpm increases, or does the sound accompany the lack of power as speed increases?

I would check the distributor advance weights for sticking.
I am considering why adjusting the idle mixture screws seemed to help a little.
It could be a lean condition because of partially plugged fuel filter or a blockage in the carb itself.

How does it act under full throttle acceleration?
Old 07-14-2006, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrnchmaster
Is There A "cat" On The Car??
Nope, there sure isn't.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
No cats on a '67.

Help me a little here.

I am trying to determine if it is an engine problem or a transmission problem or if the sound is an exhaust sound.

You seem to indicate that this is almost a daily driver, or has the car been sitting unused for a period of time?

Did this problem commence suddenly?

Is the sound a metalic sound. Have you checked with a stethoscope? What is its source? Trans or engine?

I would check the distributor advance weights for sticking.
I am considering why adjusting the idle mixture screws seemed to help a little.
It could be a lean condition because of partially plugged fuel filter or a blockage in the carb itself.

How does it act under full throttle acceleration?
I'll get a recording in a few hours, with the mic at the engine and exhaust at idle and in gear.

Initially the car was running pretty well as a daily driver, then over a period of a few weeks it started to lose power, especially when in 2nd. That's when we ended up putting it into semi-retirement. More recently we've considered putting it up for sale, but I would much rather find out what exactly the problem is; if I can do that, and it's not too expensive to fix, I will keep the car or ask a higher price.

I'll check the carb or fuel lines for blockage, but the in-line filter right before the carb is brand new and doesn't seem to show signs of restriction either before or after said filter. The adjustment to the mixture seemed to help mostly in 2nd gear, but low is still pretty damn chunky.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

You stated "Initially the car was running pretty well as a daily driver, then over a period of a few weeks it started to lose power, especially when in 2nd."

Remove the dist cap and give the rotor a twist and see if the advance moves freely and springs back well repeatedly.

You could also confirm lack of mechanical advance with timing light.

You might also look do a vacuum check on the dist can and the modulator line.

YOU still have to determine the source of the sound. If we were there we would have to do that also.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

Unfortunately I can't pinpoint the source of the sound, since it seems to be an all-encompassing problem, i.e., it is not a knock or a ding but in general the entire car sounds awful when in gear.

I've put up two audio files in case they offer any help, and the waveforms of each in case anyone wants them. The first is with the mic placed directly in front of the car, about 1 foot away and right in the middle between the headlights. It starts in Park, goes to R, then back to Park.

http://www.sherlockholmesarmy.org/engine.wav

http://www.sherlockholmesarmy.org/enginewaveform.jpg

The second one is about 6 inches from the ground, 4 feet away from and centered in between the tailpipes. Like the first recording, it starts in Park, goes to R, then back to Park.

http://www.sherlockholmesarmy.org/exhaust.wav

http://www.sherlockholmesarmy.org/exhaustwaveform.jpg

I'll check the advance tomorrow since it is already dark outside.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:07 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Dude thats cool! I did not know you could post sound. That sounds pretty normal to me...But of coarse
Old 07-14-2006, 11:10 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Well accept for that whiney spun bearing sound! That might be the recording playing tricks on my ear.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:17 PM

67 283

67 283's were prone to flatten a lobe on the cam. I had a 67 and it did it. didn't really sound too bad but it would vibrate kinda like a missfire. Had the cam replaced and it was like new...Just something you can check....GlennK
Old 07-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Not fast, but loud as hell

Last photo:

Are you positive all exhaust connections are tight? When you go into gear it sounds a lot like my car did when there was a small gap between the down pipe and the exhaust pipe. Once I fixed that it sounded a lot better. It might just be me, but it sounds kinda funny when it's in gear, a lot like mine did.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:13 PM
The Maintenance Geek

Last photo:

What are you...

idling at?? sounds like around 1500rpm, and I think
torque converter in trying to push the car around...

Keith
Old 07-16-2006, 07:04 PM
floppers forever

you should check for a vacuum leak or timing that rpm is way to high in park.is it on high idle or what?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Violating consensual reality

Last journal entry: '64 hood
Last photo:

Vacuum is my guess. Do you have power brakes? And if so do you notice any difference in stopping ability?

Strummin
Old 07-20-2006, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

The Rape of the Impala - A Play in Three Parts

Hast thou a moment? Open thine eyes and mind, partake in the misfortune and revenge found in yon thread! Learned will you be on the sage counsel given for second opinions, on the dangers of misplaced trust, the horrors of demonic infestations of contraptions, and the heroic deeds of a great knight of honor!

Cast of Characters

The Car: A 1967 Impala 4-doore sedan
Michael, First Lord of Pullman: Owner of Impala
Lady Amber: The Owners Wyfe
Gordon, A Mysterious Knight: Proprietor of New Shoppe
The Vagrant Ed: The Olde Mechanic
Darren of Knobville: Proprietor of Olde Shoppe, Employs The Vagrant Ed
Sir Sigtrap: Heir to the Norman Empire and A Seer, Companion of Michael
YoWanYee: A Moore, Ruffian and Prostitute, Engaged to Princess Marnee.
Princess Marnee of Knockers: Escaped from her native land of Floridiah, overrun by olde folke.

Act I, Scene I, in which a death is described.

Interior: A Shoppe dedicated to the fueling and repair of motor vehicles. The Car is inside a work bayy. The Vagrant Ed stands near the front of the vehicle while Michael and Lady Amber look on.

Ed: Nay, thine car hath failed to compress the mixture of fuel and air! Thine cylinders fire not when ordered, and the devill himself hath invaded the exhauste manifold! Hark! Dost thine see the blocke tremble with the furye of the evil one? Nay, exorcise this demonne thou shalt not, fore before mine eyes and upon my sole I promisse thee, thine block hast cracked!

Michael: Say thee no more, foul one! Thine words tarnish mine soule! Ist thou sure of thine findings?

Ed: Verrily, I shall stake the goode name of mine own mother on this treatise: thine block hast opened, ye are surely fukked!

Amber: Thine whore! Thou has bled our coffers drye! Content not were thee with new rods-of-the-tie and the arme called the idler? Surely thee hath breathed more easy with thine 2.5" exhauste, intake manifolde, and Lord Edelbrocke's barrel of four? Oile you we have every three monthes or three thousande myles! Aye! My hearte surely hath stopped!

Michael: Quiet thine mouth, foul temptress, lest thee unleash more demons! Into exile must The Car go, never againe to be given lyfe!

Ed: So it is saide, so it shall be: Also, thine owes me coins in the ammounte of two-hundrede and three!

Michael: Take thine payment!

Amber: With what shall we move to work and to schoole? Shall the child walke up hill both wayes in the snow? Thine ***** hath condemned us to povertye!

Michael: Nay, for I hath found a Geo Prizm which we maye purchase outright from a the east!

Amber: In propere order, thine car doth supply fifty and two hundrede powers of horse! What shall this new car bring?

Michael: Ye owners manuals makes it knowne: Four and Ninety horses are contained herein.

Amber: Perhaps the child shall have reason to walk after all.

Act 1, Scene II.

Exterior: A large tent has been erected at Casa de Sigtrap, where much foode including bacone, beefe, and bacone wrapped round beefe hath been prepared. Many ladies and lords of the family Goone are in attendance.

Michael: 'Pon my word, noble Sigtrap, thine barby-cue hath once again madeth mine belly full and content! And thy meade is surely among the beste in the knowne world!

Sigtrap: Give me thine bacon lest I end this enchantment at an early houre!

Marnee: Egads! Mine dog of hot made from the soye of the east has fallen to the grounde! Whatever shall I eat?

All Males in Attendence: Wench! I have a piece of meat which shall satisfy your hunger!

Marnee: Thine meat would not satisfy even the local clergyman or his pet hamster. For I have grown accustomed to a variety from the land of Cu-Bah.

Michael: Find a doctor, mine friends, it appears that mine pride hath broken!

Sigtrap: Thine Impala doth sit too long, milord. What ails that contraption?

Michael: Yon ***** hath cracked her block and allowed the spirits of evil to inhabit her soul. She hath life left in her still, but the will to move hath been all but extinguished.

Sigtrap: She doth travel? Of the oile and lubrication does she drain like a drunken saylor?

Michael: Nay, I hath seen nary a drop in the last fortnight.

YoWanYee: Even mine contraption hath spewed forth the evil red liquid on this very day!

Sigtrap: Sure are thee? Methinks something is not right.

Michael: Nay, my friend, for I truste The Vagrant Ed hath worn out his brain of ideas to bring life back to her.

Sigtrap: A shame, my companion, for she is both large and attractive. Speaking of which, I smell there is more meat being prepared by the large breasted one.

Marnee: Who shall have the first shot at my roast beef?

All: LOL.

Act II, Scene I, in which one thing leadeth to another.

Interior: The apartment of Michael and Amber, who are with their two children. Michael is home, reading by the light of a candle and enjoying a cup of meade. Amber walks in with the children in towe.

Amber: Be the name of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ damned to eternity! Yon Geo hath been infected with the spirit of Hades, white smoke pouring from its mouthe and being hot like the embers of our love which burned on the day of our marriage!

Michael: Hallo, mine wyfe, didts thou say something?

Amber: Nay, mine words were merely the ramblings of a long-ignored soul, destined to be drowned in her sorrow for eternity.

Michael: I say, House M.D. shall make his presence known tonight, wouldst thou like to accompany me to the theatre?

Amber: Hadst thou listened thou would know ye shall not be travelling anywhere this day, or the next. Yon Geo hath failed!

Michael: Egads! Whatever shall we do?

Amber: Yon Impala must suffice to carry us to our posts.

Michael: With the spirits still inside? Nay, I think thou has taken a blow to the head! There is no hope for her.

Amber: Whatever shall we do?

Michael: Be silent, wench! Thou dost clog the torrent of genius that floweth through mine skull. Ah, I have it! There are rumors of a knight, a mysterious wanderer whom we have encountered before who may help.

Amber: A mysterious knight? Hath he long, dark haire and a member as large as a cucumber?

Michael: Calm thyself, lest you soil thine panties again on the night of laundry! This knight hath seen the beast before, for he hath installed the monstrous means of allowing her to breathe with ease. Become a proprietor of a new shoppe, he has, one which we hath bartered with many years ago. Perhaps he shall offer some relief.

Amber: Very well, although mine thoughts cannot help but be filled with dread and disappointment.

Michael: Nay, women, I will sleepe on yon sitting chair this night; disappointment will not visit you.

Act III, scene I, in which the nature of some characters are discussed.

Exterior: The New Shoppe, where Michael and Gordon stand looking at the beast.

Michael: Do not let thine eyes deceive you, good sir knight. She hath seen better days and was once the envy of all in these woodes. But she hath grown olde and sick.

Gordon: Her years are deceiving, indeed. Tell me, milord, doth her age match her experience?

Michael: Nay, good knight, she hath only travled some twenty and one hundred thousand myles since birth.

Gordon: Please return my leg, milord. Methinks thou doth speaketh not in words but in buckets of ****e!

Michael: Promise thee I do, knight, mine meter of odom speaketh the truth.

Gordon: Say you she hath ruptured? Smoke, fire, and spewing liquids are absent, even as I look to yon oil filter. Thou art surely mistaken.

Michael: Given the goode name of The Vagrant Ed's mother was I that she doth wish to explode through her seams, good sir!

Gordon: The Vagrant Ed, whose worde is of the same value as mine ball sweate. As for his mother, she doth not dare show herself since being put in the dock.

Michael: The dock, you say? Whatever for?

Gordon: Prostitution, milord, and the spreading of diseases throughout the lowest ranks of society. Her name is worth less than that of The Vagrant Ed!

Michael: And as to the man himself, what sayeth ye?

Gordon: He loveth drink like some loveth women, and his urine doth contain more spirits than the town pub.

Michael: I say, dear sir knight, I must knoweth where mine contraption hath gone afoul.

Gordon: Aye, call upon me on the morrow, and I shall answer ye.

Act II, Scene II, in which a diabolical plot is unearthed.

Interior: The apartment of Michael. He talks into a strange device which speaks back to him.

Michael: Hath thou news for mine ears, good knight?

Gordon: Indeed, milord. Thine transportation awaits ye.

Michael: What is this you speak of?

Gordon: This contraption hath been tamed, and the beast rightly exorcised.

Michael: How didst thou do this? Was it magick from the lands of the east? Hast thou cast a spell upon her?

Gordon: Nay, milord. She had been much abused and ill-treated by the fiend The Vagrant Ed.

Michael: Abused, sayeth thee? How hath mine ***** been misused?

Gordon: Yay, though mine eyes are olde, they are keene still. Thine cables which carry the spark of life hath been cut.

Michael: My mind is awhirl, tell me all!

Gordon: Cuts madeth to the cables of spark hath removed their will to live; not one, nor two, but three hath been mangled. Alas, these wounds are olde, as the magicians flux hath long ago corroded and the shroud of magnificence that surroundeth the flux hath been cut across the cable.

Michael: Does thou speaketh as I hear? That mine contraption hath been sabotaged by the hand of man, and not invaded by the spirit of evil?

Gordon: 'Pon my word, thou hast been taken in thine rear, thou hast dropped thine soap, thou hast been expertly greased like a young alter boy and madeth ready for penetrati...

Michael: Say no more, knight! Mine mind can taketh no more of thine imagery!

Gordon: Yay, thou hast a point. Thine beast is yet again worthy to travel from castle to castle, free forever are you from the bonds of poor acceleration and the need to quencheth the beasts hunger twice a fortnight.

Michael: I dare say, strange knight, thou hast surely given life to that which hath long ago been laid to rest. I am in debt to you, sir, and shall make haste to the nearest house of ill repute to celebrate mine newly found freedom.

Gordon: Thine beast will surely impress even the most prim and proper of ladies, if not by the power of forty and two hundred horses, then by size.

Michael: Mine wife always remindeth me that size doth matter not.

Gordon: Aye, but her skill at judging the proper ripeness of cucumbers is known throughout the towne.

Michael: What sayeth you?

The End.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.