67 Impala Exhaust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2002, 05:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post 67 Impala Exhaust

I'm reposting this, since I didn't see the fine print description of the Engine Forum:

Hello people, nice forums you got here.
I'm thinking of replacing the entire exhaust system on my 67 Impala (4 door). I just don't have any clue as to where I should start. Its getting a new carb and manifold in January, and since I'm super car-illiterate, I could use some advice. What kind of parts should I be looking at to increase gas mileage? What kind of costs should I be prepared for? Local mechanics where I live are few and far between, and I'm pretty nervous about dropping a ton of money into the car that I might not need to. I know all this is kind of vague, I'm just trying to get a general idea of what I'm looking at. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 03:19 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

sorry i saw this in gen. disc. check down there!
Old 12-02-2002, 03:56 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Id go to a decent muffler shop and have a couple dual 2.5 inch pipes ran out with some flowmaster or for a louder sound use glasspak muffler installed. Around here I could get it all done (parts N labor) for around 175 bucks.
Mileage wont change much, but performance will open up a bit due to unrestricting the exhaust. It will sound sweet. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 12-02-2002, 05:47 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

We need more info. What engine are you starting with...6 or 8 (327, 350, etc)? What carburetion do you have now? Since I've got a '67, I'd start by checking the frame!!! When I bought mine I found the frame had been doctored to look solid...wasn't.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

The engine is a 283 V8 with 110K miles on it. New manifold and carb go in on Jan. 16 (hmm.. could that be the day financial aid comes for WSU.. I think it might be ). Frame is straight. This car was a wedding gift from my friend, so I know almost every bit of history (have all the paperwork going back to late 1971, oil changes, balance and rotate, everything).

Carb on there is the same one it came with, rebuilt, and about ready to collapse (see above). New one will be a 4 bbl Q-Jet. Frame is awesome, everything is still in really good shape (even the original paint only has a few rust spots, and oxidation isn't too bad for being 35 years old.). Hope that gives you some more info. Thanks.

<a href="http://www.wsu.edu/~drevil" target="_blank">Hear my music</a>
Old 12-03-2002, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

Just bumping this up to see if anyone else has some suggestions.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:48 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Smile

A '67 Impala huh? And I *** -u-me that it is single exhaust now?

I would go to a large parts jobber and get a price quote for a complete WALKER exhaust system off a 327 IMPALA. You will need the extra hangers and all. You can susbstitute low restriction mufflers at this time. Then figure your time (or a shop's time) to hang it properly. WALKER also owns DYNO-MAX so you might want to see if JEG'S or SUMMIT offers a complete system with mandrel bent pipes.

Or, you need to find a CUSTOM exhaust shop (not Midas) that specializes in this type of work and let them give you an estimate.

I know of no other ways. You definitely want an H-PIPE or crossover in the system.

You get what you pay for. There is nothing worse than the sound (and rattle) of a cheap exhaust system with unequal outlet pipes hanging below the rear face bar.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:15 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

From what you've written, you're not looking for a racer..just a nice running piece of history. It sounds like you've got a two barrel carb on it now. I would check out EBay for a manifold from that era, i.e. with an oil filler tube. A Q-Jet was used then so you can't go far wrong there. The 283 was a nice little engine and it will respond to such additions. I had a local custom shop put a dual 2 1/2" system on my '67 for $200 plus mufflers. You shouldn't need anything that big if you intend to stay with the 283.
If the car is original, I wouldn't cobble it up with tons of aftermarket stuff.

P.S. - Are you in Pullman, MI?
Old 12-04-2002, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the input, hoping for a few more opinions. I already have a 4 bbl carb and manifold on the way. I have been blessed with a great mechanic, doesn't rape me on prices and always does quality work, Only thing he asks is that he gets to "test drive" it when he's done.. puts about 50 miles on it, pays for a full tank of premium himself

You're exactly right, I'm not looking to turn this thing into a racer (although the ability to smoke a few rice-rockets would be a plus). I simply want the car to run well. Right now the carb is about ready to die (its the original, rebuilt about a year ago), and the manifold is just old. Otherwise, the car is in decent shape. I took a few pictures of it, I'm gonna try to attatch them here. Sorry if they are a little big, its a big car!

Edit: I'm from Pullman, WA.. go to WSU.

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: doctormidnight ]</p>
Old 02-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Chevy to the death!

Hey, I know that this thread is dead, and I hate to do this, but I have a 67 Impala 4door 327 4bbl that i'm currently restoring (in great shape, little interior tears, original 327 still running, never been pulled, only rust is one little hole in left rear behind wheel well) but I'm hoping (even in it's spray bombed shape) to drive it to graduation this year. She's my love and my dream car. Getting down to the point, i put on shorty headers (modelled after the original ram-horn manifolds) which leaves Precious with open headers, and I don't think the city of Calgary would like that too much. My current plan is to run dual 2 or 2.5 inch exhust, with x pipe and flowmaster purple hornies glass packs into a weed burner style (sorry if incorrect name os spelling, where it exits before the tires pointing rearward and at an outward angle of approx 15 degrees) so it blows the smoke fom burnouts at crowds and evacuates it so it can't seep into the car and stink her up. My question, is where would i put the X pipe?? It seems the trans or driveshaft would be in the way (an idea that came to me in social class today was, (the original exhust from cyl 2,4,6 and 8 was routed under the engine and into the 1,3,5 and 7 bank to form a single exhust), place the x pipe under the rear section of the engine where the previous exhust passed and route it back from there). Ichecked at a few muffler shops, and even with me supplying mufflers, it would be around 500-600 for pipe and labour. would that be too much? where else could I go? Sorry for digging up an old thread but I'm in need of help. Thanks,
Jake Engel

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.