67' mustang with 71 cougar 302, temp maxing out after a 10 minute cruise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

67' mustang with 71 cougar 302, temp maxing out after a 10 minute cruise

Recently got my 67' mustang back together and moved from Wisconsin to Ohio. I drove it 470 miles, and aside from breaking the kickdown cable, everything was great..except I drove the entire trip with the heater maxed to keep the car from overheating. It has a '71 mercury cougar 302 in it, Edelbrock RPM performer intake, 600cfm edelbrock 4bbl carb, no ac, mechanical engine fan. To make matters worse, One of the transmission cooler line fittings on the stock radiator broke, so the trans is now using a standalone cooler mounted in front of part of the radiator. My question is, I've seen radiator flush fluid, is this worth trying? I've changed the coolant, doesn't help. Would a new water pump help? New radiator? (P.S. the temp transducer is new, when I put the new intake on.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 06:03 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

Does the fan have a shroud?If it doesn't, I would put one on. What size pulleys are the pump and crank? Having a smaller pump pulley and larger crank pulley will give you an overdrive on the pump. That will increase flow at lower and higher speeds. If the radiator is stock, maybe having it cleaned would be a good idea. Also check the thermostat, going to a Robert Shaw or any hi-po t-stat may help. They open farther than a stock t-stat, which will increase flow as well.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

Hrm

Well, by "fan" I should have said, large fan blades, bolted to the front of the engine. No it's not shrouded, stock (I think) pulleys, and no thermostat (because I wasn't paying attention when I put the new intake on, and the old one didn't have one in it either). My initial thoughts were to flush the radiator and remove the fan blades from the motor, and install a high CFM (~2,000?) electric puller to the backside of the radiator.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Put a thermostat in it..........with no stat, the flow is too fast and it doesn't have time to cool in the rad.

Also, if it had a shroud stock, put one on.

Budget RVs
Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 AM

Last photo:

Heh

Heh, thanks I'll get a thermostat in there, I just assumed (go me) that it wouldn't be a problem, since I wasn't going to drive it once it got cold out. The car didn't have a shroud when I got it, there are about 3-4" between the rad and the blades, So I think I'll start with the thermostat plan and see where that gets me, thanks again!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Had the same problem once on an early Dodge van. Replaced the slant six with a 318 out of an identical van. After banging my head against the wall trying everything in the world to get it to cool, I went back to the wrecking yard and scouted up the fan shroud off the donor van (it had already been removed when I bought the engine.) Viola .... problem gone!

Good luck!
Retro
Old 10-14-2008, 06:46 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

Running without a t-stat and having the bypass open is why the motor got hot. The bypass hose is the small hose from the manifold to the top of the water pump. It's just a loop of coolant going from the pump to the motor, never seeing the radiator. So without the thermostat in and the bypass open , you were diverting most of the coolant to the bypass and not the radiator. like Ponch said, put the t-stat back in.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

Nice

Picking up the t-stat from Napa today, and I ordered a new shroud from NPDLink, I could have gotten a junker one probably, but my policy has been, "If it breaks, replace it with something shiny", e.g. tranny cooling lines / fuel hardline are now "racing" flex stainless steel lines, given this car's age (and the fact that it started life in Alaska), it's seems like the best policy =) The main problem I've had is, this is the first car I've actually worked on, so when things are missing (and/or not correct) I don't always notice until waaay later.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

agree with poncho,
step #1 is put a 190* stock stat in it to balance the gpm flow...

step #2 is test to tell what the true actual temp is (is your 67' oem guage still reading/calibrated correct?)....

(ex: on my 65' vintage oem no numbers guage, 180* is dead center but when the needle is at the full hot 7/8th's line it is only 195-200*'s and that's not to hot at all)

$5? Walmart "stick in the turkey" oven thermometer...
motor cold, remove the cap and put the thermometer so it's into the coolant....
when the thermostat does open the flow will go from a babbling brook to a river worth of flow so you can know the temp that it is opening reading the thermometer and compare to the guage needle....
temp won't climb to the hot line, block off just some of the rad air flow with a piece of cardboard....

step #3, if it was running hot on the highway triple check that your ign timing total (base + centrifugal + vacuum advance) is correct....

my $.02
don't use a rad flush on a old car...
alot of the deposits were formed due to "electrolysis" and "if" the flush does remove them you are exposing a now thinner/weaker spot to corrode more sooner and cause a leak....
classic common scenario: flush a radiator and then heater core springs a nasty leak (because it has no ground to slow the electrolysis from day one)
Old 10-14-2008, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

Thanks

The gauge may well be messed up, because it's the wrong engine, the thermostat that was in it originally didn't read properly at all (not sure if it was just dead, or if there is an actual difference, so I got the sender for a 67'). 3) Good idea, but the timing marks are basically invisible, even after spending a long time trying to clean them up, and the timing pointer simply isn't there. I set the timing by ear essentially, it idles smooth (in both park and gear) and doesn't backfire/skip going to WOT or coming off it, so I assume(there I go assuming again) that it's "close" to the correct timing. Eventually, I'll get a new gauge cluster (or just new gauges that fit in the old cluster) and a replacement timing pointer. And yeah, it was running just below the top end of the temp gauge on the highway, it was about 80f outside, with the heater on, going ~70mph. That being said, with no t-stat in, regardless of how fast I was going, it would have run hot, correct?

Edit: Didn't think about the issues flushing could cause in regards to causing a leak, but it makes TOTAL sense now that you mentioned it, thank you!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:21 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

Also make sure you have a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.Pure water or pure coolant will also make it run hot.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

Should have known it wouldn't be that easy

Update: Installed the t-stat, new fluid 50/50 concentration, gauge goes all the way to 'H' after idling for 10 minutes. I guess step two is to wait for the fan shroud, and while I'm waiting, check the temp while driving, and get some kind of direct temp sensor in place to verify the actual temperature, thanks for all the responses, I'm pretty sure the answer is in there somewhere, I guess I should be glad that I can actually drive it, since it did run for 8 hours non-stop with the heater on max
Old 10-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

Get one of those long skinny cooking thermometers to stick down the filler neck and double check the temperature. You might be fretting over nothing if the dash gauge is misleading you.

But you probably do need a shroud to help pull air through the radiator when idling. At highway speeds a shroud might not make much difference, but can make a big difference when idling or at slow speeds in warm weather.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

one of my friend owned 2002 mustang and his temp gauge would read very high. It turn out the 302 block needed to connect a ground wire to the frame, because current was flowing through the metal pipe to the temp gauge causing the pipe to heat up.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

It's running fine

Got the meat thermometer and let the car heat up, dash gauge was all the way to H and the the thermometer wasn't even registering (under 100f). So I took it out, left the heater off, and drove the car pretty hard, on the highway, on normal roads, long WOT pulls to 6k rpm. Hour later, gauge still maxed, car didn't explode, radiator cap didn't blow, so I think I'm good

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.