67 mustang question- need help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2006, 11:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

67 mustang question- need help

Ive got a 67 mustang coupe. I just bought a 5.0 302 for it yesterday. I just wnat to go to a junkyard a pull a whole rearend, rear brakes( the whole set up) off of a car. My question is which year model would be best to look for. I want to put 17x9's wheels on the rear if that helps any! thanx for any help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2006, 12:08 PM

Last journal entry: 49 Ford
Last photo:

Granada rear end

Ok, Im really a chevy guy but a buddy builds hypo stangs. I have heard from him that ford granadas came with rear disc brake set ups on 9 inch rear ends.
Mercury also made a similiar car but cant recall the name.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by testlightST
Ive got a 67 mustang coupe. I just bought a 5.0 302 for it yesterday. I just wnat to go to a junkyard a pull a whole rearend, rear brakes( the whole set up) off of a car. My question is which year model would be best to look for. I want to put 17x9's wheels on the rear if that helps any! thanx for any help
I have done several of these.
Based on your info you need to stay with a rear end that is 57 1/2 inches from wheel to wheel.

What I would suggest is to stay with your existing 8 inch rear end. Lots of us are running 8 inch rear ends with hot 5.0 HOs and have had no problems. No slicks allowed.

If you don't have any rear under it now, look for 66-69 Fairlanes, Granadas, and V8 Mavericks. I would start with the V8 Maverick rears which are rumored to measure less than 57 1/2 but I have never seen one that narrow myself. The spring mounts are all the same dimensions. These rears should sell for $ 75 complete wheel to wheel. Grab the driveshaft too for another $ 20.

And while you are there, look for the 15/16 inch front sway bar on the Granada for $ 20 which bolts right on to your Mustang. Don't forget Granada disk brakes are a bolt on to your Mustang also and complete knuckle/brake/rotor assemblies should sell for $100 including master cylinder and prop valve.

If you want a 9 inch rear you will have to scour the yards and driveways for a rare and expensive Lincoln Versailles or 79-80 Mercury Monarch or Granada Delux, or some other 67-8 Mustang. The disk brake 9 inch will cost you $ 600+. A few 80 Monarchs came with 8.8 on leaf springs with 2.47 gears (same guts as late model Mustang GTs) and I have paid $ 50 for them complete.

3.25 or 3.50 gears work well with or without overdrive using a 25-26 inch tire. MII V6 cars had 3.55 gears. Most other stick shift cars came with 3.25s. An 8 inch "chunk" sells for $30-50 depending on gear ratio (2.80s sell for $ 20 noibody wants them). Posi's are very rare unless you find a 76-77 Mustang II V8 or Cobra, and used posi chunks (3.00 ratio) will cost $ 200+.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Ford Mavericks have the correct width 8" for a Falcon/Mustang, Granada/ Monarch would be the same.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Ford Mavericks have the correct width 8" for a Falcon/Mustang, Granada/ Monarch would be the same.

Depends which Falcon...... not all of them. The early ones are narrower, the middle ones the same, the last ones were wider. The early ones had small diameter tubes like the early Mustangs. 66-69 Falcon which is the same as a 67-8 Mustang. 70 Falcon is a Torino size car.

Last edited by xntrik; 02-18-2006 at 07:55 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.