67 Nova engine swap? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010, 10:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

67 Nova engine swap?

Ok guys here's whole story.my daughter has a 67 Nova ss that she's had for 25yrs California car,our father daughter project car.She moves to Oregon for a few years and comes back without any emissions on the engine.Well the engine blew a rod destroyed the block 15 yrs ago.Now it's time to get it ready for the Grand daughter. The question is what to do about a engine for this this.I did pick up a couple of engines over the yrs only to now find out...thanks to site [which is a blessing by the way] that they are Truck engines and after reading posts on this site I find out I can't use them since were are in California....and she never registered the car back to California from Oregon. I need suggestions on which is the best way go? Old or New?
I appreciate your Knowledge in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

That should not even be an issue,if you were to buy a block from any rebuilder source there is no guarantee what core you would receive for a SBC.However there is a slight difference between the 63-67 Nova blocks and other SBC's as far as the oil filter mount where you would require a shorter filter,checkout Mortec.com for the Nova casting numbers to look for, you may also put up a post in the classifieds here for a Nova core.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:31 PM
More for Less Racer

Isn't '67 old enough to be exempt from emissions testing and the like in Cali now. I thought it was a 30 years rolling date of exemption, or is it totslly Nazi there??
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

Its still totally Nazi here. The law states you are only exempt from testing not that you can remove your emission devices. I believe that year only requires a PVC and a thermal air cleaner. That's what the law says but the officer has to know that and most don't bother. I would just put any engine in there you want. If you do a standard small block no one will ever check the casting number to see what it was. When you register it in California it will still be registered as a 67. Don't worry about it and just have fun.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 AM

Last photo:

620 dude,

you didn't say which motor was in the car, 6 or 8cyl, I don't think you could get the 4cyl in an SS Nova.

Old or new, you will need new heads with hardened valve seats for unleaded gas.

Have fun with it.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:01 AM

Last photo:

It's actually a good thing you waited this long. Back in '88-'89 when I converted my '67 to V8, replacement parts were hard to come by. I only found ONE place that had frame-mounts for a SBC. J&W Nova parts. This was before internet, so all we had were magazines. Because of that I couldn't find a replacement front-sump pan/pick-up either. It was a blessing in disguise I guess. I ended up learning how to improvise, and figured out what will, and won't work, in these swaps.

If yours is an original V8, and the rod only damaged the block, at least you still have the external bolt-on parts to re-use. If you're converting inline-6 to V8...you're lucky. It's soooo easy to get reproduction parts now.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM

The car came with a factory 327 but when it blew we lost the block and the oil pan...pretty ugly. I was thinking when it left for Oregon it had an smog pump on it? where would I look to find out what emissions came with the car?
It's been so many years ...I can't remember.
I appreciate your guys knowledge and input it helps alot

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.