Hot Rod Forum banner

67 olds 2 speed jetaway trans convertor

9K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  mmerlinn 
#1 ·
does anybody make a stall for these or will powerglide ,or a 350- 400 trans convertor work ?
thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First question: Why do you think you need a "stall" converter? Is this going into that Olds convertible attached to your post? What are the specs on the engine, gears, tires, and intended use of the car? I find is funny when people use this terminology, because ALL converters have a stall speed.

Second, you do realize that this trans already had the switch-pitch torque converter, don't you? It has two stall speeds from the factory. As a result, the only converter that swaps is another switch pitch converter.

Third, if the system is working correctly, you should already get the higher stall speed with the car stopped in drive. You also get it as part of the kickdown function to improve acceleration.

#3 ·
well i got a orig w 30 350 from 72 that was in the 67 car , it dropped way low on idle
almost to die with idle set at 900 .
i'm going 425 with thumper cam 10.50 pistons original with the 16 th dish .
don't remember cam specs as they were taped on motor , then garage burnt totally .
redoing it now .
car i think has the 2:70 something rear .
yeah i'm viper blue now instead of smoked pearl .
second time car was in a fire as white , hope i changed the omen .

#4 ·
burnt olds said:
well i got a orig w 30 350 from 72
Well, the W-30 was either a 400 (66-69) or 455 (70-72). The high performance 350 was the W-31 and that was only built in 1968-1970.

In any case, why do you want to keep the Junk-a-way... er, Jetaway? TH350 or TH400 or built 200-4R would all be a better choice. Keep in mind that the Jetaway is NOT a Powerglide, parts are hard to get, and you only have two forward gears.

#5 ·
joe_padavano said:
Well, the W-30 was either a 400 (66-69) or 455 (70-72). The high performance 350 was the W-31 and that was only built in 1968-1970.

In any case, why do you want to keep the Junk-a-way... er, Jetaway? TH350 or TH400 or built 200-4R would all be a better choice. Keep in mind that the Jetaway is NOT a Powerglide, parts are hard to get, and you only have two forward gears.
yes the 350 was a 70 , i got it out a 72 long ago .rebuilt after cam went down in it with only 62 thou on it .then drove less than 100 miles and the guys wife got pissed at him and took his backhoe to the roof . we spent the whole weekend putting the motor in his 72 wagon .she found a condom in the back floor .
trans was rebuilt by a old guy that was the pro of our area back in 83 .
the 350 ran good till fire , the brass plugs in the carn came un soldered and fuel dripped by them .
thing drove ok , just loaded up sitting at idle .
the 425 is a 66 steal crank motor from a jay lino tornado .was hoping one day for a air gap intake to be built for a 455 to put on it and a elderbrock carb .

#6 ·
The Jetaway converter is not easily detached from the transmission. To remove it you must unbolt and remove the flywheel, then remove 4 snap rings as you remove the PIECES of the torque converter. When you get done removing it, you have a pile of pieces, not a "torque converter."

No one makes a "torque converter" for that transmission. At best, and highly unlikely, someone MAY have made some pieces that you could swap out with some of the pieces of your old one.

#7 ·
mmerlinn said:
The Jetaway converter is not easily detached from the transmission. To remove it you must unbolt and remove the flywheel, then remove 4 snap rings as you remove the PIECES of the torque converter. When you get done removing it, you have a pile of pieces, not a "torque converter."

No one makes a "torque converter" for that transmission. At best, and highly unlikely, someone MAY have made some pieces that you could swap out with some of the pieces of your old one.
Sorry, but you are thinking of the 1950s Jetaway. The question is about the 1964-69 Super Turbine 300, which Olds also called a Jetaway. The 1960s version uses a conventionally-located converter.

#8 ·
joe_padavano said:
Sorry, but you are thinking of the 1950s Jetaway. The question is about the 1964-69 Super Turbine 300, which Olds also called a Jetaway. The 1960s version uses a conventionally-located converter.
News to me. Have been selling transmission parts for over 30 years and have never heard anyone call the ST300 a "Jetaway."

The only transmissions I have ever heard called "Jetaways" were the cast iron Cadillac and aluminum Oldsmobile/Pontiac ones from the late 50s and early 60s.

#9 ·
mmerlinn said:
News to me. Have been selling transmission parts for over 30 years and have never heard anyone call the ST300 a "Jetaway."

The only transmissions I have ever heard called "Jetaways" were the cast iron Cadillac and aluminum Oldsmobile/Pontiac ones from the late 50s and early 60s.

I've seen advertisements that called the 2 speed ST-300 a Jetaway. It seems the marketing folks were stoopid back then too.

When trans folks say Jetaway , they all seem to know what is spoken.

We had a Jetaway brought into the shop about 5 yrs ago.. One builder that was full of himself explains that the trans is a Roto hydramatic model 10.

After I chuckled a bit , I told him to go get his books out and look it up as the trans was a Jetaway not a model 10 Slim Jim.

:pimp:

#10 ·
I'm probably wrong on this, but I thought the th350 and 400 trans converters would work in a ST300. The switch pitch was also opional (?). Who would make a shift type kit for this trans, or even aftermarket heavier duty parts, would be the real question. What say you trans men ( referring to mechanic types and not those with gender identity issues ). Butch/junior stocker.

#11 ·
junior stocker said:
I'm probably wrong on this, but I thought the th350 and 400 trans converters would work in a ST300. The switch pitch was also opional (?). Who would make a shift type kit for this trans, or even aftermarket heavier duty parts, would be the real question. What say you trans men ( referring to mechanic types and not those with gender identity issues ). Butch/junior stocker.
The converter MUST match the pump. A switch-pitch trans can only use a switch pitch converter, and vice-versa. All Olds ST300 transmissions were switch pitch, so the only other converter you could use is a TH400 switch pitch from 1966-67. These would have a slightly LOWER stall speed than the stock converter, since the TH400 converter is larger in diameter.

I can't speak to marketing types, but every Olds Chassis Service Manual that I have between 1964 and 1969 call it a Jetaway.

#12 ·
I ran the smaller diameter VP converter from the ST trans in my t-425 switch pitch trans axle in the Chevelle I built .

The switch pitch ( VP ) converter is some what different internally from a regular converter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.