Hot Rod Forum banner

67 Olds 442 clone

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  carolinacustoms 
#1 ·
Good day everyone. Came across this 67 and wanted to know if it's even worth $6500? It appears to be losing oil pressure about 5-10 minutes after starting so might be a spun bearing or worn bearing or camshaft bearing so looks like bottom end job I required. The oil pressure drops to about 10 psi at idle and goes up to about 20-25 while driving. Here is the info on the car:
Engine is from a 71 toronado 455 and it was rebuilt last December with new heads then taken a part to put in a 501 lift 289 comp cam, no water leaks, no smoke no oil leaks, interior is nice no one has even sat in the back seats new seats belts capet headliner and all, it has a Richmond 390 positraction, little to no rust now body has been sanded little bondo hear there on hood had little rust on it but cut a hole under hood scoop which you cant see where the rust was and now looks good and works with the clainducted intake and underneath has been undercoated, has power steering and new fluid, was repainted last October has one or two small bubbles.
Includes-
- new interior, seats, headliner, door panels
- new front disc brakes, rear air adjustable shocks and new front springs and shocks- new carburetor and aluminum intake
- new chrome wheels
- new heads and gaskets
- new cam 501 duration 289 lift
- new lifters
- new bell housing
- new clutch
- new pedals
- new radio needs to be hooked up loose wire I think
- new custom fit speakers
- new 390 Richmond ring and pinion and positraction
- munci four speed four on the floor
- new paint, interior, racing bucket front seats
- new clainducted air intake
- new gas tank
- new fan
- new aluminum radiator

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2BvXaC

See less See more
#4 ·
I am restoring a 66 442 currently for a customer, and just be prepared if you are buying with plans to replace anything, that parts are somewhat hard to come by and expensive. When you go back to the car, feel the lower quarters from inside the trunk, these cars are prone to rust there, as well as the front floor pans. Otherwise, it looks like a nice tribute car, it does look a little strange with the cutlass trim and the 442 badges, the newer model 15" wheels do look pretty good though. All in all you could look around and see what they are selling for on ebay and the like, but a nice running car should be worth that kind of money. I would do as KR said and offer $5G and see what he says. The bumper will cost around $1500+ to get chromed, and any of the trim is hard to find. The piece on the trunk lid is very valuable if it is in good shape, very few pieces are reproduced outside of small patch panels. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Kelly

#5 ·
Parts in regards to body, trim etc or also engine parts? I also agree, I don't like the painted bumpers. Not sure why anyone would. I will offer lower as I already lowered from 10k to $6500. I will see if I can to $1k lower. Thanks again everyone

#7 ·
One question maybe someone knows. Any ideas with these changes what would cause the oil pressure to be at 10 psi at idle? I've been told oil viscosity, oil pump pressure release or much worse. I'm planning for much worse but would like to here your feed backs. Thanks

#8 ·
10 PSI at idle is acceptable. Just buy it before someone else does. Even a clone, in that shape will bring better than $10k in the right market.. So if the oil pressure tops at 40-50 PSI when you get on the gas, it's probably just fine

10 PSI per 1k RPM is a common spec and many GM engines just meet spec when they get some miles on them, but run for a long time

$6k does not buy much these days and a 455/4spd Cutlass is a lot for the dollar

#9 ·
Thanks for the help. And then I come across this 64 Buick with a very nice motor. What are your takes if you were looking for your first muscle car and undecided between the two? This Buick they are asking $7k. Here is the info, sorry for all caps but that is how the guy wrote it:
NEW MOTOR TRANY REAREND , 406 SMALL BLOCK 30 OVER , 530 CAM , 220 CC RUNNERS ON HEADS , BUILT AND BALANCED AT A MACHINE SHOP , 1.6 ROLLER ROCKERS , 130 FUEL PUMP , 16 GALLON FUEL CELL , 5/8 FUEL LINE , 1 QUART FUEL FILTER , 373 POSI REAR , 3 SPEED AUTOMATIC , 2 STAGE MSD 1 ST STAGE OFF THE BRAKE 2ND STAGE OFF REB LIMITER SET AT 6500 RPM , 78,000 MILES ON CAR , 1200 MILES ON DRIVE TRAN , 2 " JEGS RADIATOR , 7 QT RACING OIL PAN , THE LIST JUST GOES ON AND ON , 570 HP TO FLYWHEEL AND 550 TORK FOOT LBS , I DRIVE IT ON THE WEEK ENDS WHICH SAVES ME A LOT OF MONEY ON MY INSURANCE , 3" DUAL EXAUSTS , ITS NOT YOUR GRANDMAS BUICK ! IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A NASTY STREET CAR THIS IS YOUR CAR , NEED THE MONEY , DOWN FALLS ON CAR TRUNK IS REPAIRED BUT NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED CORRECTLY , REAR SEAT NEEDS TO BE REDONE , THIS car WILL TAKE A 2014 CORVETTE OFF THE LINE EASILY OR MUSTANG BLA BLA BLA GETTING YOUR MONEYS WORTH ALSO HAVE 1 30 SHOT NOS KIT NOT RAN YET

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2MEaDZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.