67 Pontiac 428 carb replacement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

67 Pontiac 428 carb replacement

I've got an all stock 67 Grand Prix 428HO that needs a carburetor (Quadrajet slowly leaking gas through bowl/?, missing primary rod springs/valve retainer ring, etc). I know there are people who can rebuild/supertune this (though I've read 67 Quads have a design problem with float pressure on needle because the pivot/lever ratio is too short), but for now I'd just like to get a replacement carb.

Is a Holley or Edelbrock better? I have a Holley double pumper spreadbore (not sure model/CFM) on another 428 GP and it runs like a champ, but I want to learn more about this.

I figure I should get a 750 cfm with vac secondaries, and would like to keep a spreadbore (better mileage with small primary venturi?, and to avoid an adaptor/manifold change) but all input is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I would go back to a Quadrajet, it`s the best street carb there is.
Call up Jet Performance or Sean Murphy Induction. They both specialize in completely rebuilt Q-jets and they will build it to your engine spec`s. The replacement Q-jet from either one will be of the much newer variety with a electric choke. Both have web sites. Just go to your search engine and type in the names.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:05 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If the carb is original, don't let it get away from you!

A couple more places:

Gessler has most if not all of those parts you need.

Ruggles has quality parts and rebuild kits and services like primary bushing installation. He does correct restoration of Q-jets, too.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Double Vision:

A well-rebuilt, properly tuned Quadrajet will give you crisp performance, great mileage and keep that GP original.

Follow Cobalt 327's advice and seek-out Cliff Ruggles to overhaul your Quadrajet... while the float fulcrum was indeed moved forward in later years, your carburetor is fine as-is!

At the very least, read Cliff's Q-Jet book which will walk you through various tuning recipe's as well as showing how to do an in-depth rebuild. Its available via his website or on e-Bay, Amazon or any place that sells automotive books.

If you prefer, Cliff will repair/overhaul/tune it for you. You can advise him what mod's (if any) you've made to the engine/drivetrain and he'll make the necessary mod's to the fuel curve on the idle, transition, cruise and secondary circuits, not to mention properly adjusting the Air Valve, Choke Pulloff and more! http://cliffshighperformance.com/
Old 07-19-2010, 03:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigolotava
If you prefer, Cliff will repair/overhaul/tune it for you. You can advise him what mod's (if any) you've made to the engine/drivetrain and he'll make the necessary mod's to the fuel curve on the idle, transition, cruise and secondary circuits, not to mention properly adjusting the Air Valve, Choke Pulloff and more! http://cliffshighperformance.com/
Another comment or two about Ruggles: He runs a Pontiac himself. He likes the Pontiac version Q-jets to modify for use on other makes, so he's real well versed in Pontiac/Q-jet combinations.

He ain't cheap, but he gets good reviews from those who've used him and he seems to have real good "after the sale" service.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Cliff spends a little time here: http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/ He answers a quite a few questions and gives advice, sometime.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.