'67 Pontiac Catalina - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2003, 09:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

'67 Pontiac Catalina

Hello, my name is Charmaigne. I'm the proud 2nd owner of a '67 Pontiac Catalina 2-door hardtop that I bought at an auction about 5 years ago for $500. Since that time I have replaced the front end (with parts from Kanter), brakes, electronic ignition, the new air-conditioning system, U-joints, etc. Well, last year the rear seal went out. Uuuugh! I bought all the parts, oil, fluid, etc. to fix it. My buddy who had been helping me with the car all along was a 68-year-old expert mechanic. He died of a heart attack while out on the road driving a truck. Man, I miss him so much! He taught me so much about my car! So unfortunately for that, another unfortunate thing is that my car is sitting in my garage taken apart at the point that we were going to lift the engine and all that (that was a day's work just getting everything apart) and he was to be back in a week or two to help me finish putting it back together. Well, he can't come back to help me, I don't know of anyone else that can help me. I am a single parent, work very hard to support myself and my daughter, and I guess my main question is how can I find someone who actually knows what they're doing? I even bought a Chilton's manual for my car on Ebay. There's a lot of things I can do by myself on this car, but this isn't one of them. I've been driving this car for 5 years (well, until the rear seal went out). I either need to find someone to help me fix it or just sell it or part it out or whatever. It would kill me, but it's doing no good in the garage as it is now. I'd give anything to be driving it again because it cruises so nicely! Plus, I just love old cars! Right now I'm driving a "granny" '92 Olds Cutlass Ciera. God! I'm dying here! Any suggestions would be greatly helpful! Thanks to all of you! I'm new here, so I hope this wasn't too long. Sincerely, Charmaigne

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2003, 09:41 PM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

Charmaigne,
I find the biggest thing that holds people back from doing things is the fear that they can't do them. Or that they need help. We are all here to help or guide you in your quest. You did do one of the best things you could and bought the book. Now when you have free time read the pages on the work you are doing over and over until you know them by heart. Then when you start you will remember the words without looking. But still keep the book close at hand.

Now is the motor still in the car? Are you removing the motor to replace the rear main seal? If I remember right it has a rope seal in it? Do you have the necessary tools to do the job, or do you know where to get them? Many auto part stores have loner tools nowadays so you will not have to buy high dollar tools that you will only use once.

You did right when you came here and asked for guidance in your quest. Just keep asking questions as you go and the answers will come. Start with one question at a time and you will get there. Some jobs do require more hands on help and I'm sure you can find someone close by to give a hand when necessary but I have all the faith in your ability's. Just give it a try, ask questions along the way, and you journey will be worth while.

Sorry ro hear about your friend. Sounds like 1 in a million. He is still with you in spirit.

CC
AKA ManyHorses
Old 10-04-2003, 04:22 AM
Beats pickin' cotton

Last photo:

Join the performance years board, they have a ton of Pontiac guys that will help you out. Some live in your neck of the woods. www.performanceyears.com Good luck!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.