Hot Rod Forum banner

671 Blower doing my head in and not even set up yet!

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  chevyshuffler 
#1 ·
Hi all! Well its been a while since ive been on here, what with moving to the UK n getting set back up! But im not really a computer wiz so here gos!...

Ive just brought what i was told to be a good 671 blower... Now after donkey's years working with blowers... Top fuel dragsters etc ive really only worked with teflon stripped ones that were brand new and not really done the whole pro street project for myself... But this little problem is niggling me...

I unpacked the unit to see it spotless, its a recon gmc unit... Inside, rotors, gears all clean apart from red grease on the mesh. Over all good with very minor scores, rotors turn free with no grates but a funny noise. Sounds like the rotors have some kind of fluid in them... I can hear it trickling around or more like a very quiet slosh. Now... Nowhere on land or net sais anything about a fluid or some kind of liquid in the rotors itself. Now what is it? N if its not meant to be in there then do i risk stripping down n re gauging myself or just leave it in there? At first i thought it maybe some kind of attempt of balancing or mild harmonic type? Or cooling... But now such the vagueness and no info at all its begining to play on my mind weather to fit n run or strip!

Please help? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
its begining to play on my mind weather to fit n run or strip!
It will be on your mind for the rest of your life if you're anything like me. I call such things "a loose thread", as in clothing.
As far as setting it up after disassembly, a quick search on the web revealed this post from the H.A.M.B.
tech week 6-71 Blower rebuild - THE H.A.M.B.
Actually, unless you put it together and clearance it yourself, you have no idea that the current setup is correct or not.

#3 ·
Thanks buddy... I had a look at that link, makes good reading! The guy i brought it from said he rebuilt it for a soldier out in iraq who wanted a project camaro but after being posted away for long periods on end said he might as well sell it.
Being an engineer i know how to set clearance's etc but never done a blower. We have always sent failed blowers away to be re-stripped and rebuilt or junked them if really bad. Just kept to my hemi and chevy rebuilds.
Ive never come up with this before but do i drain it? Is it there for a reason?
But yeah its going to be on my mind forever if i dont do anything about it! Think its very odd!
Thanks again!

#5 ·
Thanks... Ok il have a go at it. How easy do you think it is to remove the plugs? And are the reusable? Why on earth would a guy building blowers re build a charger with cleaning fluid still in the rotors. If this is the case im starting to get second thoughts on the unit itself. Ohhh never rebuilt a blower before. Hope its doable!

#6 · (Edited)
The plugs won't be reused. No worries- they're cheap. Click on image below for more info.

Cleaning fluid being left in the rotors is just an idea, there could be some other reason. And how that reflects on the workmanship that has gone into this blower is debatable. But the main point it there's no legit reason for fluid to be there, and it should be removed- the rotors become hot in use, the pressure could cause a plug to pop out, and it affects the balance.

I would remove them w/a slide hammer using a self-tapping screw end on it. Drill the plug, thread on the puller and remove. Only need to remove the plugs from one end of each rotor.

#7 ·
kind of weird how fluid would of stayed in rotors and put plugs in, when you would have them vertical , is this complete with a drive ? if so they could of put grease in it already? long set of feeler guages come in handy .011 down the middle and pull them up is usually good

#10 ·
Wow thanks for the replies... Really appreciate it. Damn i never thought of that liquid whatever it is expanding with heat and steam when she warms up. Il order some new plugs then, i hate working with ali, especially on something like a blower rotor. It didnt come with any of the drive... I spun her with my fingers after taking it out of the packaging to see if everything was ok, everything looks great on it but you can hear the liquid trickling from lobe to lobe, sounds like quite a bit too. Came with front case end (standard polished GMC and heat sinked FOX engineering rear bearing cover which il have to machine down so rotor arm will fit behind. All polished so effort has been made on it on its rebuild... You would think!!! :S
Ahh here go's then :( ... Blower strip down for the first time!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.