68 big chevy truck 327 ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 03:10 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

68 big chevy truck 327 ?

anyone have any opinions on what an old original high miles but non smoking good running (complete and still in vehicle can drive right now just fine no problem) `68 chevy truck 2bbl 327 is worth possibly ?
trying to get an idea of a fair value on one of these things to see if i want to buy the truck or not, for the engine(1968 C-50 or C-60)
wonder if any of these big trucks like this in 68 had a forged or steel crank like the combine ones

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Last photo:

Very high probaility that the engine has a forged crank. It however isn't worth a whole lot, mayby $200-300. 327 forged cranks are really not that rare these days.

Vince
Old 02-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I'd agree with Vince on the price range. But, that's a large journal 327 crank and if it is forged it might draw some interest. The forge large journals only came in some trucks and Corvettes. If you say "Corvette" the price automatically doubles.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

300 and i could drive the truck away

so hmm

and still have nice cab with new rockers done on it to sell and body parts and scrap the chassis for another 150 or so, maybe hair more

so hmm

what would you do ?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Bigger is better

Last photo:

$300 for a driveable truck....

Buy it. You can sell the good parts on E-bay and double your money easily.

But don't junk it. Sell it, but don't junk it.

running truck, clear title, 300 bucks, good deal.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

no title

no bed either

its a real short wheelbase one,
with the big 5 lug clamp bolt style 20" wheels like semi trucks have

it was some kind of truck for IL state college

title is long gone, no one knows where it is

ill make up my mind eventually

just not sure yet, i could get it as soon as saturday morning

hmm..

what to do.,.

its either that or an 86 monte carlo straight no rust through but is a 4.3L one and needs plugs and gas to run again, 200 bucks good title and nice interior and everything

hmm..

maybe i should get the monte first get ir running good and clean it up and sell it and then go get the 68

hum

actualy id love to find a complete 3/4 or 1 ton 2 wheel drive pickup, but damn cant find a single one anywhere now, not even a rusted beater, thats all i actually really want..
or a 76-78 nova(yes im picky on my years of a given make and model) but those novas are non existent now, not a single one left at all

thanks

Last edited by fast68; 02-02-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:50 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2600
I'd agree with Vince on the price range. But, that's a large journal 327 crank and if it is forged it might draw some interest. The forge large journals only came in some trucks and Corvettes. If you say "Corvette" the price automatically doubles.
I've seen at least 2 forged large journal 327cranks that came out of cars (1969 2bbl models). I think it's likely that they used up what was left in 1969 and stuck them in anything to get rid of them because that was the last year for the 327.

tom
Old 02-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Bigger is better

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
no title

no bed either

its a real short wheelbase one,
with the big 5 lug clamp bolt style 20" wheels like semi trucks have

it was some kind of truck for IL state college

title is long gone, no one knows where it is

ill make up my mind eventually

just not sure yet, i could get it as soon as saturday morning

hmm..

what to do.,.

its either that or an 86 monte carlo straight no rust through but is a 4.3L one and needs plugs and gas to run again, 200 bucks good title and nice interior and everything

hmm..

maybe i should get the monte first get ir running good and clean it up and sell it and then go get the 68

hum

actualy id love to find a complete 3/4 or 1 ton 2 wheel drive pickup, but damn cant find a single one anywhere now, not even a rusted beater, thats all i actually really want..
or a 76-78 nova(yes im picky on my years of a given make and model) but those novas are non existent now, not a single one left at all

thanks
Well, too bad you don't live in NC...

I know where there are 2 1977 chevy novas. Complete cars, clear titles, all the running gear still there...and you could get them both for under $1000

OR..

My buddy and I are restoring a 1968 chevy 3/4 ton pickup. 8 lug wheels, SB 350 that runs GREAT, heavy duty suspension and axles, low gear rearend (about a 4.56...I think). Was a state truck at one point in time. Has a really good body..just needs a few minor dings fixed and a good paint job (which we are in the process of).

even after we finish it, we will probably sell it pretty cheap.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe350s10
Well, too bad you don't live in NC...

I know where there are 2 1977 chevy novas. Complete cars, clear titles, all the running gear still there...and you could get them both for under $1000

OR..

My buddy and I are restoring a 1968 chevy 3/4 ton pickup. 8 lug wheels, SB 350 that runs GREAT, heavy duty suspension and axles, low gear rearend (about a 4.56...I think). Was a state truck at one point in time. Has a really good body..just needs a few minor dings fixed and a good paint job (which we are in the process of).

even after we finish it, we will probably sell it pretty cheap.
if the truck has 4wd than it's probably got a SM420 4spd manual, and yes 4.56 ratio. My grandfather has an old K20 GMC with this configuration, hasn't been run since '82 ( my grandfather and dad put a 350 in it but never got the correct belhousing so, it drags and didn't idle or start good but ( needed 2 batterys to turn it over fast enough ) still restorable, good shape, needs rockers is all.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

love to get my hands on those novas, wish i could find another here

i started out on the 67-72 gm trucks, about ten years ago, mad emyself learn every minor little detail about them, including RPO codes and options and so forth, probably owned about 60 CSt era trucks, daily drivers, projects, parts rigs, blazers, burbs, a panel delivery, dump trucks, etc, pics of alot of them i have somewhere

the 4.56 is the dana ratio, rear anyways, dana 60 that is, and most likely is posi(POW-R-LOK equipped)
not trak-lok(craplok) like some ppl claim- in which was never installed the GM danas

and K20 front ratio would be 4.55

and the eaton rear would be 4.57
the H052 axle(5200lb)

420 trans was last in 67, the 68-up is 465 or 435 or 435CR or a warner, but the 465 is the most common by far and next with the NP trannies,
3 speed on the tree was std equipment trans in the 3/4 tons just like in the 1/2 tons, but you never see one cept in 1/2 tons, i would safley call a three on the tree 67-72 gm 3/4 ton truck rare, but theres one out there somewhere

only in 30 series was 4 speed the std equipment

good luck and treat that 68 right
68 is actually my all-time favorite year of the GM trucks, the 50th anniversary year, gold and white year(1918-1968)

another little tidbit: 1977 GMC was 75 years, (notice the yellow body side moldings on the '77 trucks, instead of the black)

good luck

Last edited by fast68; 02-03-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:20 PM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:

what part of illinois do you live in?
Old 02-04-2006, 11:38 PM

i think you'll get answers going both directions.there are many young people today who have no use for a 327 because its so small what with all the people building 383's and 406's these days.you will also have the nostalgic people doing restorations on old vettes or ss muscle cars or just people who were lucky enough to have had a 327 back in the day and remember them.i have two small journal steel crank 327's so i am always interested in hereing what they can go for.i have two of the original aluminum intakes for the vettes and chevelles 365 and 350 h.p. and i was on ebay the other day checking out intakes for sale and a guy had one of these intakes and started the bid at 150.00.i wish i had followed it to see what it went for.i've also seen them go cheap.im in no hurry to give mine away but good luck to you.can you get the numbers off the front of the engine and find out whats in it?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.