Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 68 Camaro dash pad recovering help
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

68 Camaro dash pad recovering help

Hey guys,

I'm needing some opinions on how to attack restoring the dash pad for a 68 Camaro. The original was heavily cracked and the frame rusted. I removed the foam and cover (mostly in pieces). I wire brushed the frame to remove most of the heavy rust and plan to coat it with Rust Encapsulator before recovering. The front of the dash (leading edge) foam looks to be about 1/2" thick and it tapers down to about 1/8" at the back (see pic #2 below). So my question is, how do I recreate this smoothly? Any other recommendations for covering this? I was thinking maybe just covering the whole thing with 1/4" closed cell foam and covering that or using 1/2" sew foam but I don't know how to taper it smoothly. I was also wanting to add a seam on the top leading edge for a more custom looks with contrasting color thread. Also, because I don't know that its possible to cover the whole thing with a single piece of material. Thanks!