68 Camaro engine advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2004, 04:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lightbulb 68 Camaro engine advice

Greetings,

I'm in a bit of delima, so i thought i'd ask for some advice. I currently own a 1968 SS/RS camaro with a standard (non-numbers matching) 350 -out of a 71 chevelle, M20 transmission, and 3.73 read-end. Sadly, the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It's burning oil like crazy and is starting to make very bad sounds.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'd like not to spend over $2000-$2500 on a new crate motor engine, but it seems that my options are limited. I can get the 260 hp GM goodwrench crate motor for well under budget for around $1400, but i'm not sure if i'll be happy with it or not. Other than that motor is seems many jump into the $2600+ range, except for the GM goodwrench 330 hp 350 (but i don't want to use all vortec items and be stuck with them).

Any advice will be helpful, I'm at a loss as to go for rebuild/crate as well as what to get.

Has anyone tried that 260 hp 350? Is it worth a crap. Thanks so much!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2004, 05:02 PM

one of my friends has the 330 hp engine in his 91 firebird and is very happy with it, the car runs strong, runs 8.90's on street tires in 1/8th of a mile, he has 7004r trans and 4.10 gears, but i wouldnt go with the 260 hp its more of a torque truck engine
Old 01-11-2004, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i'm not entirely sure i'd be happy with the 260 hp engine, but for the money, you can't beat it.

I was considering the 330 hp one, but i'd have to get a vortex manafold which i was trying to avoid (although i'm sure they aren't expensive). Also for the $2200 that motor costs, i'm not sure if you could do better with a crate engine from a 3rd party.

....Tough decision.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.