Hot Rod Forum banner

68 Camaro engine advice

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Valkadesh 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I'm in a bit of delima, so i thought i'd ask for some advice. I currently own a 1968 SS/RS camaro with a standard (non-numbers matching) 350 -out of a 71 chevelle, M20 transmission, and 3.73 read-end. Sadly, the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It's burning oil like crazy and is starting to make very bad sounds.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'd like not to spend over $2000-$2500 on a new crate motor engine, but it seems that my options are limited. I can get the 260 hp GM goodwrench crate motor for well under budget for around $1400, but i'm not sure if i'll be happy with it or not. Other than that motor is seems many jump into the $2600+ range, except for the GM goodwrench 330 hp 350 (but i don't want to use all vortec items and be stuck with them).

Any advice will be helpful, I'm at a loss as to go for rebuild/crate as well as what to get.

Has anyone tried that 260 hp 350? Is it worth a crap. Thanks so much!

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i'm not entirely sure i'd be happy with the 260 hp engine, but for the money, you can't beat it.

I was considering the 330 hp one, but i'd have to get a vortex manafold which i was trying to avoid (although i'm sure they aren't expensive). Also for the $2200 that motor costs, i'm not sure if you could do better with a crate engine from a 3rd party.

....Tough decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.