Hot Rod Forum banner

68 camaro fender..what one do I need to look for?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Too Many Projects 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a roller 68 it has a badge on the back that says it's an rs but thats all I see.The front fender does need an extension.I was going to order a replacement online but it says the one I was looking @ won't fit a 68 rs so I need to know what to look for so that I can purchase the correct fender?Thank you & I hope that I am posting in the right section.

#3 ·
an RS has lights in the rear valance under the bumper its welded on and might still be original . if it has lights pull one off and see if the hole is factory or has been cut out by hand .
I cant remember exactly but I think the RS also has hide away headlights, still you should check the vin# to be absolutely sure.

#4 ·
Yeah the RS has back up lights in the rear valance below the bumper where the non RS has them in the tail lights. The headlights are hidden behind covers that open via a vacuum diaphragm. And if yours has this you will need RS fenders as the bracket behind the head light is different in them.

RS

Non RS

They even sell the RS brackets to convert non RS fenders to RS.

Brian

#6 ·
The VIN will NOT tell if it an rs, ss, or anything other than whether it had a 6 or 8 cylinder engine. The body tag in '67 would disclose this info but GM couldn't be bothered with those extra stampings from '68 on and there is nothing to be known about options from that tag either. Just basic stuff, exterior and interior colors, which plant it was made at and production week.

The rs package for '67-69 consisted of hideaway headlights and solid red tail lights with the back up lights in the lower valance, as Mike noted.

Any rs badge on the rear of the car is not factory. The gas cap would have had the r/s on it, unless it was also an SS and then the SS took precedence on the cap.

Let's see some pics !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.