'68 Camaro front brake/disc power conversion problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2004, 10:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 68 camaro front brake/disc power conversion problems

I have a 68 camaro it had 4 wheel drum manual brakes. I converted the front to disc out of a '69 camaro, also I got rid of my manual master cyl and replaced it with a power booster and a disc master cyl. the problem that im having is no brakes at all? i have a hard pedal but when running the pedal goes to the floor. I bled the mater cyl and all the wheels are good and bled.there are no leaks and no air in the lines Idon't understand why I don't have any brakes when I start my car and its running? The car has a metering block and thats all. I checked the distance the brake rod goes into the the master cyl to see if there was a difference between the old master cyl and the new one but they are the same depth. Also one more part to my question when the manual brake master cyl hooked up to my brake lever/pedal there was two holes it was on the top one , but when I hooked up the power booster I had to use the lower one because it was rubbing on the firewall . Which hole is it suppose to be in the top or the bottom one?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 10:42 AM
www.bigblock67chevelle.com

Last photo:

I made the same change on my '67 Chevelle. You will need to ad a proportional valve for power brakes or and adjustable one. It goes in line to the rear brakes after the metering valve. Aes far as you not haveing any pedal, it sounds like air. I know you said there was none.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:50 AM

so your supposed to keep the metering valve? i was going to get rid of the metering valve and just put in a proportional valve .
Old 05-05-2004, 06:06 AM
www.bigblock67chevelle.com

Last photo:

If you have a proportional valve for the power brakes you can replace the metering valve. If you have and adjustable one keep it. I took the eazy way aout and put and adjustable one inline.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:42 AM

Last journal entry: Fixed some leaks
Last photo:

It sounds like the brake booster is unable to push on the master cylinder very well. Your brake pedal seems to be pushing on the booster just fine though. Is it a lot of work to separate the master cylinder from the booster? I know on 72 Chevelles the master cylinders for front disc/rear drum cars are the same power or manual. If you wanted power you just hooked up a booster behind the master cylinder and it wasn't much trouble to take them apart if you needed to.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:38 AM

well this weekend im installing a proportional valve and then im going to see how it feels after i bleed all the brakes.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:48 AM

Did that fix the problem?
I am in the middle of the conversion myself, saturday should finish mine up.
1973 Nova with Manual 4 wheel drum swapped in 1970 Chevelle front power disc with booster,master cylinder, and proportioning valve.

Next major swap will be a 1970's Firebird Rear with Disc brakes, & 3.55 posi..
Old 05-13-2004, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

If the pedal goes to the floor on it's own/doesn't return to up position when lifting your foot while it's running than you have a bad booster. There is a little check valve in the booster that gets stuck from lack of use/moisture and this will cause the pedal to pull to the floor on it's own.

A hard pedal with the engine not running is normal. If you have a hard pedal with the engine running than you are either not hooked up to manifold vacuum or you have a defective booster. Frozen calipers can give you a hard pedal too.

High metallic Brake pads/racing pads can give a hard pedal too but I have never had any luck fixing a hard pedal by swapping out pads.

Had a 79 Camaro that sat for a while and it developed the pedal to the floor problem, it was a bad booster. Brakes worked perfectly before letting it sit for a long time.

If you are swapping out used stuff you should consider using those items as cores and get fresh rebuilt parts.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:22 AM

other then the brake parts in the front i did buy a rebuilt disc master cyl/ power booster and new calipers. someone told me it sounds like you got a bad master cyl so i replaced it with another one and the brakes got a little better.

and NOVAnvrruns from what everyone tell me im going to stay with drum rear brakes changing them over is a waste.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:22 AM

Quote:
and NOVAnvrruns from what everyone tell me im going to stay with drum rear brakes changing them over is a waste.
Thanx for the advice. I know that rear disc brakes do very little, hell rear brakes in general do very little.
Only reason I was going with them was because they are already installed on my friends Firebird 3.55 posi rear that I'll be getting. Otherwise I would've stuck with a typical 10 bolt posi, or 12 bolt posi w/ drums.
Glad to hear that your brakes are better..
L8r

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.