Hot Rod Forum banner

'68 camaro headliner help

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Max Keith 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i'm converting my interior to all black and i dont know how to remove the headliner without damaging it.

Any help would be great, i searched tons of the FAQ sections here and found nothing of use, i also searched the web and my repair manual to find nothing.

Thanks,

~Eric

Btw, here's a pic to refresh your memory ;)

See less See more
#3 ·
Older Camaros' have bow type headliners.

A headliner that old is going to be just about impossible to remove without tearing. If you do get it out, then comes the task of re-installing it correctly. Headliners are not for the inexperienced,

The headliner will be held in by= Glue, metal channels with grippers in them, staples, trim pieces and on a lot of cars the windshield and backlite have to be removed.

If your headliner is ok. Just Dye it!

#4 ·
headliner

I agree with Bobcrman. I do upholstery for a living, and headliners can be a severe pain. As he said, it can be very difficult to get an old headliner out with out doing damage to it. If the headliner is in good condition, I would leave it alone and just redo it with spray dye thats made for the job.

But then if you are or were planning to replace it with another factory unit, then destroying the old one is moot, other than to remember exactly how it came out.
You will want to keep track of every little screw, clip, etc you take out of it and make a note of where it goes. Getting the bows out can sometimes be a challange in itself, to keep from kinking one of them. Which has happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.