68 camaro nitrous setup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 10:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

68 camaro nitrous setup

I want to install a progressive nitrous system in a 68 camaro that currently has a 383 stroker dynoed at 460 hp with compression of 10 to 1 . what would be the best setup? it has a edlebrock dual plane with a barry grant carb and ported iron eagle heads. all forged internals. also what is the best setup for the extra fuel delivery? price is not a real big issue I want a quality setup. also how much of a shot do you think it will handle, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Email all these guys and ask. You'll get the proper answers.
http://www.roadsters.com/engines/#Nitrous
Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 AM

ok

I would look at the jacobs master mind. You can probably go to 200 to 250 shot. If you run a 100 shot you would be ok with same fuel system on motor and nitrous with -8 and a 140 pump with separate regulators for both. If money is no concern I would run a mallory 140 pump -8 with return and you should be fine with 250hp. I would do a nitrous express kit.
On problem if you will need to run a retard on the timing when nitrous is on also if you run more than 100 (should run with 100 but can get away with it)you will need colder plugs on nitrous and it will run like crap off nitrous. If you run 100 to 150 you do not need the progressive controller just turn it on about 300 rpm after you go.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

do you need a seperate fuel cell with high octane race fuel for the larger nitrous shots?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 PM

i think

I think you are ok till 150 I will look. Do you drive the car on the street? I have a 336 to the rear and 408 on nitrous I only run 100. I have a nos kit and run regular plugs (35 gap) and stock timing can run 38 but do 36. If you go more than 100 you should take out 2* and run one colder plug and 30-32 gap. The problem with running more nitrous you need to do other things to it that will make it hard or impossible to run on the street. Lets say you go with 200 you need to take 4-6* timing out (can get a controller that does it on activation) and go 2-3 steps colder in the plug. With that cold a plug you will be fouling out unless you change at the strip. I dive the car to and from the track and don't wont to hassle with the plugs. One more thing I had to get a converter to handle the nitrous and I had to go up in rear gear. I had 4.11 and ran out of rpm at the end of the track. 100 shot pulls the car grate. If you plan on going 200-250 some day get it now and work your way up but have the kit that will allow you to do it later. I have 1000-1200 in my nitrous. Kit, heater, retard, regulator, opener and window switch. Nitrous is cheep hp but if you do it safe it is not cheep. It is fun. Go to nitrous express and nos and down load the directions to the kit you are thinking of, it will have allot of tuning info.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthecomic
I think you are ok till 150 I will look. Do you drive the car on the street? I have a 336 to the rear and 408 on nitrous I only run 100. I have a nos kit and run regular plugs (35 gap) and stock timing can run 38 but do 36. If you go more than 100 you should take out 2* and run one colder plug and 30-32 gap. The problem with running more nitrous you need to do other things to it that will make it hard or impossible to run on the street. Lets say you go with 200 you need to take 4-6* timing out (can get a controller that does it on activation) and go 2-3 steps colder in the plug. With that cold a plug you will be fouling out unless you change at the strip. I dive the car to and from the track and don't wont to hassle with the plugs. One more thing I had to get a converter to handle the nitrous and I had to go up in rear gear. I had 4.11 and ran out of rpm at the end of the track. 100 shot pulls the car grate. If you plan on going 200-250 some day get it now and work your way up but have the kit that will allow you to do it later. I have 1000-1200 in my nitrous. Kit, heater, retard, regulator, opener and window switch. Nitrous is cheep hp but if you do it safe it is not cheep. It is fun. Go to nitrous express and nos and down load the directions to the kit you are thinking of, it will have allot of tuning info.
the car is mainly street driven with a few track days, the car is for a friend of mine and he wants me install the nitrous for him. it is traction challenged now with the 460hp stroker so any nitrous will need to be progressive. thanks for the tips
Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 AM

what trans

what trans and stall? I like the jacobs master mind. I thought your hp was rear wheel. Looks like we have about the same hp I have 420 on motor. I put on m/t street radials and it really helped with traction. With nitrous you do get hp but mostly you get torque. With a 100 shot you will get 600lb. I had to get a nitrous stall and a nitrous drive shaft, I twisted the first one. If it were me this is what I would do. I would get a nos super power shot and run a 100 shot, you can run the same plugs, fuel 92-93 and timing. I also like the nitrous express hitman but you will need a colder plug and drop 2-4* timing. Run the master mind or a window switch that turns it on 400-600 after stall. I like the controllers but it turns the nitrous on and off to make it progressive and that is hard on the solenoids and you will need to rebuild them often. Get a purge, heater, blowdawn tube and adapter. I also got a bottle opener so I can open it while driving. Run a mallory 140 or holley hp 150 pump with -8 if you run a return style all the better. One reg for carb 6 1/2 and one reg for nitrous set at 6 to 5 3/4 both need full pressure from the pump. With the hp you have if you go bigger you will need a separate pump. I have a 4dr 55 chevy 3700lb, 355, th350, 3000 stall, 3.73 and 27" tall tier shift at 5800-6000 and the car runs 12.2 at 111. I dont know your stall gear or shift point but you should be in the high 11 with with 100 shot. If you do a 200 shot or bigger you might be getting into an area that you will need allot of safety equipment for the track.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

the trans is either a 200R or 700R I will have to check. it does have upgrades to the internals along with a 3000 stall and a full manual valve body. the horsepower numbers are at the crank not the wheels. he has to run drag radials to get decent traction.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.