68 Camaro Starting Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2003, 04:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

68 Camaro Starting Problem

Hi everyone, I'm a new user here so any advice would be great.

I recently bought a 68 Camaro and ever since I got it there have been problems with it starting. When I say that, I mean that when I turn the key it will turn over, but not start, I can sit there all day cranking it. I can't seem to pin point the problem and I'm at my wits end.

I am pretty new to these old cars so bear with me. This is what I have done so far. I got new spark plugs( the gap is correct), new wires, an electronic ignition(I have it to a 12VDC source), a new alarm, and a new battery.

I thought at first it had something to do with the electronic ignition because I had it hook up to the coil, then I found out about the ballast resistor and hook it up to a 12 Volt power source and right after that it started great. Then it started doing it again about four days later. And then what would happen would be that at the same time I would try to start the car the alarm would starting going off.

I took it back to the alarm guy. I saw him messing around with the battery and then it worked pretty good for a day or so. Just last Friday I had it running good, shut it off, started it back up(when it was warm) with no problem. Then three days later when I thought I fixed it, it won't start!

I've looked at you forum pretty good between engine and electrical and I'm convinced its electrical. When it starts it runs great. I'm going to start checking the grounds first and possible get some new battery cables today. Do you all think that I'm going in the right direction with this? According to the forum it seems having starting problems could be anything from the timing to a shorted wire.

I know it has to be something small, but I need some guidance. Mainly what to do before I start buying all these parts that I think might be bad.

Thanks for you input.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 07:22 PM
Last photo:

Next time that it doesn't start, see if you have spark by removing one of the plug wires and lay it near a ground source while cranking the engine.

Vince
Old 10-21-2003, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Talking

Welcome to hotrodders! First thing I would try is to disconnect the alarm for a few days and see if it starts and runs OK. If it does there lies your problem. Check grounds for sure, and remember sometimes battery cables appear OK, but can be deteriated inside. Have you thought of upgrading to a HEI distributor? This would eliminate points, ballast resistor, etc. Let us know and good luck.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:54 AM

I agree with Dolly, get rid of the alarm system. Had one in my Buick and it raised hell on starting. Check to see if you have a valet switch button somewhere in your car. Push the button while your cranking the car, that should over-ride the alarm.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:57 AM

No I haven't considered an HEI distributor yet, I'm really still learning about the car.

I did however go to the car last night to try and start it, and well it started right up.....8 hours earlier it would only crank.

I did find that the negative battery cable looked really bad, the one to the engine block(wires broken, LOTS of corrosion everywhere) and also the smaller wire coming off the positive side, where it was attached to go to the voltage regulator pracitally fell off when I was messing with it. So I put a new terminal on that and I'm going to pick up some cables today.

I started it up a good five times last night without any problems. I guess we'll see.

thanks for all you input, I'll keep you posted
Old 10-27-2003, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

I third the motion on the alarm system.
I used to install remote car starters. Experienced all sorts of funky stuff like flashing lights and whatnot. Change nothing but the module it was cured. Funny part was, tried a supposed "bad" module on a different car, it worked great. Personally I think static electricity had something to with it, but...........

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.