68 chevelle recommended gear ratio - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 12:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

68 chevelle recommended gear ratio

I am running a 327 68 chevelle with a stock gm 10 bolt non posi rear end and the my bottom end is sluggish. I am running 245 60 r 15 in the front and 275 70 r15 in the rear pretty big tires. With a th350 with a 1800-2000 stall, what do you guys recommend for a good gear ratio and can you use the same 10 bolt carrier with a new or used posi ring gear and spider gears? I am not racing but would like some better bottom end and not kill my cruising rpm either something in between pls.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 03:21 AM

its a matter of physics .

is the engine stock or what horse power, transmission has to also hold up to engine out put next drive shaft & rear end need to be really thought of if engine is stock & transmission is stock there are horse power factors or you may walk.

all honesty the engine supplies the torque & rpm the transmission is a middle man the drive shaft & rear end is the so called hook up its where you will eather burn tires or go somewhere quickly usually a gear ratio of 3.9 called three ninties or 4.11 called four elevens are usually used unless you have more money than nuts or brains these gear ratios are a common option in gm 10 bolt or gm 12 bold you can make a stout 10 bolt or 12 bolt there are some veriables to look at just what do you want this car to do. stock gears 323 or so are called highway gears ask yourself if you want to do a lot of highway driving or is there a power freak in ya not sure if ya want to get so technical if its stock all the way through you may want to leave it and find another car to race once altered its up to supply & demand.

now if its a 425 horse radical small block it has needs to be accomodated for ya know no one talks about planting power yea Im a drunk farmer just think plant each gear & be quick there is also laws of physics not to bore you Im a person that knows what I need or want reality plays a part in this kinda self educated ok low down 10 bolt gm good up to 500 horse but needs replacement parts same with gm 12 bolt there are some rear ends that are tough out of bigger cars & trucks that you may never tear up if set up correctly.

ask yourself just what you want your car to do there are money pits then there are jenuine original cars I have seen some men with both only for the reason they could not have both in one car this is not a dumb question me Im smarter than money but kinda need both one car to the office the other by night believe me one of them is not insured or actually safe me I got ****ed I paid for concert drove there to find it was a closed show yea I got shut down call me if you would like 5-1-7-9-3-7-4-1-6-6- life is not allways what you can get from David. oppinions optional yours bad don't bother.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 AM

Last photo:

I can be much more precise.

Most street guys these days will go with a 3.55:1. However if you want more oomph on launch, you can step up to a 3.73 or a 4.11. Being a 3spd automatic, your gas mileage will suffer accordingly.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Sounds like you need 3:73's. 4:10's would put you at 2,800 rpm at 60 with the TH350 and 31" tall tires, but will really get you going.

X-2 on the milage! I'm getting 10 mpg with my truck but it weighs 4,800 lbs.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.