68 Continental - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

68 Continental

Hey guys, i recently was given a 68 Lincoln Continental. Its been sitting for 20+ years. The woman that gave it to me parked it in her yard so it was running fine.
Currently the engine compartment is covered in leaves and has a rats nest.
My question is what would you recommend to get this engine running. I checked the fluids and nothing is dry. The oil is dark, brake fluids dirty, trany smells terrible and p/s is full. Motor has little under 60k, no visible oil leaks.
This is my first project car and i want to make sure its done right.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6843.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	648.8 KB
ID:	70124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7143.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	70125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7130.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	554.6 KB
ID:	70126  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Old & Furious

Turn the engine over with a wrench and see if it even turns. Chances are it wont turn over a few times before it gets stuck on a rusted cylinder or valvle.

Change all the fluids and make sure its got plenty of oil take the plugs out and make do a compression check with the starter motor so the oil pressure will come up some.

Rebuild the carb and drop the tank to make sure its free of rust and other trash. Add a fuel filter right beofre the carb and replace the factory one. I like the glass ones for old cars so you can see trash in the filter before it gets clogged up.

Replace the plugs. Drop the trans pan and Change the fluid and gasket. Make sure the rear still has oil in it.

Check for spark and replace ignition/tune up parts as needed. Might want to get it running before you put too much into it.

What are your plans for the car. Its probably going to be a lot of work if you start to drive it. Things that were fine will start to break and if you should probably replace all the rubber on the car. This sucks but will add alot to the reliablity. Once it has set for that long it is usally shot and just needs to be replaced.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Yeah i figured i would need to do all that. I did some research and a lot of people are saying to pull the plugs and spray some wd-40 and let it sit for a wile. Its hard to do anything right now because of the location of the car. Its on a gravel road, the tires are shot so im probably just gonna do all the work where its at until i can get some tires on it so i can pull it out and get it on a flatbed.

So far my plans are to get it running and then tear out the interior and basically restore it. I have a buddy that does body work and i could do all the mechanical. Its gonna take a long time and a lot of money but im young, i got time lol.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Plan on replacing all the rubber parts in the brake and fuel system. I'd rebuild everything in the brake system (M/C and wheel cylinders) and all rubber hoses. Rubber fuel hoses from tank to hard lines and hard lines to pump should also be replaced. Expect the carb gaskets to be completely dried out and leaking, so plan on a carb rebuild as well. New plug wires and tuneup, of course, assuming the engine turns over. All new fluids and filters. Finally, carefully inspect the wire harnesses for signs of rodents chewing the insulation and repair any problems to avoid a fire.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would do as little as you have to where its sitting. On gravel is not a safe place to be using a jack or even stands. If you just need to get it running long enough to get it on a trailer, frankly I would just do the bare minimum. There's not very much you can do that's going to take 20 years of wear off the motor from sitting there. If you want to fog the motor, thats fine I don't think it will help much. I would not try to get under it to change fluids/parts. Wait until you're in a safe location before you go horsing around with all that.

K
Old 12-28-2012, 04:51 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If you plan on flat bedding it home, just do it now....those guys have winches on their trucks capable of hauling it aboard, flat tires or not.......Then it will be where its safe to work on. Personally, the only thing I would want off that is the drive train to put in something much lighter

Budget RVs
Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

moving dead cars.

Sometimes I take a sheet of 3/4 in plywood and have it in front of the car so when it starts up on my trailer the plywood will slide easier than metal parts of the car hanging up and getting bent, some times jack up the front of the car to reposition the wood sheets. on my tilt trailer I have 1/4 in steel plate floor, and I have hung up stuff where the weld beads are. but parts can start to gouge on the clear floor areas too.

Tags
1968, continental, engine, lincoln

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.