Hot Rod Forum banner

68 cutlass

981 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
i have a 68 cutlass s and i got a short in the system, im sure its under the dash because the motor has new wiring, but i cant keep my battery charged and it shorted out my starter. can anyone help

#2 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

Need more than that to even make a good guess..

Does the battery give off a healthy spark when you remove / Attach the Cable?

HOW do you know the starter failed because of a short? Have you tried jumping the "S" terminal to the "B" terminal ? and IF so, does it then crank?

DOes the battery go dead "Just Sitting" over night?

CLEAN the battery cables, Inspect for corrosion under the insulation, If found , trash them and install new..Be sure the cables are clean, tight, and burnished AT BOTH ENDS...

Check your Fan Belt, Should be tight, and not glazed or cracked..

BE sure you have a proper ground buss system..with proper block/Frame/BOdy/Battery Continuity.

Charge the battery on a HOME CHARGER for 10 to 12 hours at 10 amps..THEN have it load tested..If you have a bad cell, it will fall off quickly. Replace the battery.

With a Warm Running engine, At Curb Idle, Measure across the battery With a DVOM, Set for DCV, VX20 Or higher..It should read between 13.96 and 14.4 Volts on the meter..Lower values are indicative of a bad (or soon to be bad) Alternator..Rebuild/Replace as required.

With the Car off, ALL loads removed, (dome lamp, hood, trunk lamps etc..) Remove the battery cable..Configure your meter for AMPS Scale, Highest scale on the meter, (usually 10 amps) Place the probes on the battery, and the Cable..BE sure the meter does NOT peg or go into "OL"..Then reduce the scale until it is just below "OL" or Peg..this will be your true reading..

The reading here for a car with a CD/Player (with active memory presets), Computer, Alarm system, Digital Dash, or other memory supported devices..Will be within the range of .3 and .8 amps (less than an amp) to be correct.

IF higher, you have "Parasitic Drain" or a Faulty Alternator. Disconnect ALL the wires from the Alternator, and perform the above tests again. If the draw falls within spec, you have a bad alternator, usually Leakey Diodes..Rebuild / replace as required.

IF the Draw Does not drop to spec, REMOVE all the fuses and relays. Check the meter, it should be within spec. Then replace the fuses ONE at a time, WHILE monitoring the meter..IF/When it shoots up..THAT is an offending branch circuit..Troubleshoot / Disable that branch, and Continue on (you may have more than one draw) until ALL the fuses and relays are back in place.

This will help you find the Draw.

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.