68 firebird - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

68 firebird

I am in arizona and i just picked up a 68 firebird. Definately a project (non running) Has little rust and missing a bunch of parts. I was told that it had a 455 (non original) motor in it and knowing little about pontiacs i belived him. With about an hours wouth of research i found out that it has the original pontiac 350. Still unsure what tranny it has but if it is origial it had a powerglide (also know very little about these trannys other then they are two speed trannys) i have a couple of questions...I have heard that pontiac 350s are kind of junk motors and to replace it with a chevy. What is the difference between a 350 and a 455 if they are both bigblocks (is it just bore and stroke??) And are powerglides good trannys to use or should i convert to a manual 4 speed??? Any advice would help. Thanks!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 PM

One thing you should keep in mind, if you have the original drive train in the car it'll be worth a lot more if you keep it that way.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

I concur the $ value comment. I have never heard of a big block 350 though.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

There are no "Big Block" or "Small Block" Pontiacs. Externally, the 326, as well as all those in between, is the same size as the 455. The two speed tranny that you have is not a Powerglide. It's a Super Turbine 300, which is not as good as a Powerglide, but like the Powerglide, is dementionally interchangable with the Turbo 350. So, you could pull that engine and transmission out and drop a 400 or 455 with a TH350 right in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280009.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	25422   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5270003_edited.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	25423   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5270010.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	25424  
Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 PM

Ok where should I start? First off there are no big or small block Pontiac's. The differences are not just in the bore and stroke but the main journal size of the crankshaft. The 326,350. 389, and 400 all have 3 inch main journals. The 421,428, and 455 all have 3 3/4 inch main journals. All the block demensions are basically the same. Second the Pontiac did not use a Powergllide transmission, what it was called escapes me right now. Third the 350 is not a boat anchor engine as there are kits out there to really make them perform. Ken (Ace) Brewer of Pacific Performance Racing in California has developed a 383 stroker kit for a 350 Pontiac that develops 462 horsepower on pump gas. Also check to see what the block code is, two letters right under the passenger side head and check to see what the head castings are. The head codes will be on the center ports. Also Pontiac had a 350 HO in 69 that, in the right tune could run with about anything out at the time, 320 hp from the factory. Why put in a small block Chebbie when the torque of a Pontiac will put it to shame. Beside when have you ever heard of anyone running a small block Chebbie destroying frames, as I have destroyed 2 under my GTO running a mild 400 Pontiac. Why? Answer, Torque. I know alot of the Chebbies guys on here won't agree with me on alot of this but facts are facts. It may cost more to build a Pontiac but the results are more satisfying. If you have any questions feel free to contact me by PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Grusome Goat, I think that you and I have about the same feeling for puttin' a chebby in a Pontiac. We would probably get along real well. Also, it was more than likely a typo, but the 421, 428 and the 455 have 3.25" mains, not 3.75. And Pontiacs did get powerglides in the mid 70s, when the plant that made turbos was down for a time, but a '69 would have a Super Turbine 300, which was okay, but not as good as a Turbo 350 or 400 or a powerglide.

Last edited by WDCreech; 11-10-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:06 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

ditto and ditto. pacific has a website, just put w cubed in front of their name. ps. all poncho rods are the same length too, but pistons aint. get the stroker crank, have somebody well known port the heads like sdperformance.com and i would lose the ST300 and put in a th350 (bolts right in with a kick down kit from.....??? crap shiftworks or something??) or a th400 if you can get one and the driveline to go with. actually, you may be able to getta 4 speed. that would be much better for me but spendier if you have to buy pedals etc. bout time we got some pontiac brains around here.

also, tho not as good as this site performanceyears.com has an all pontiac bulletin board with ten tons o'crap on fixing anything firebird or pontiac.. or you can try www.nastyz28.com if you had a second gen bird but it is only for second gen camaros. other sites abound, i have made poncho posts here without much help. but that was a year or so ago. i would take up gruesome on his pm invite and see how that works out
God, that is one BAD *** 64 creech!!!!

Last edited by bullheimer; 11-10-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:03 AM

Wd yes it was a typo as I was about half asleep and working in the dark. I am as hardcore Pontiac as you. Catch alot of flack for putting a 400 in my 85 GP instead of a Chebbie. And always have some idiot ask me why I won't put a Chebbie in my GTO. I always tell them I get tired of changing engines and besides it has Pontiac on it, not a Tie. Bull, Py has a very good all Pontiac site as I have been a member of that board for about 5 years now. Going to join a couple of more as there is no way I'm going to go to anything else as far as brands, getting to old and besides I don't think I'd find anything that I'd enjoy more that the 71 GTO I've had for the last 21 years, and I have owned and drove abput everything over the years.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Right Rear Armrest
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernkazern
One thing you should keep in mind, if you have the original drive train in the car it'll be worth a lot more if you keep it that way.
Not sure if I agree with that with regards to a Poncho 350 and a ST300. If I had my choice between o/w identical 68's, I would be way more interested in a 455 (or 400) / TH400 (or TH350) than a numbers matching 350/300.
Anyway, like WDCreech said, you can pull the 350/300, set it aside, drop in a 455/350 while hanging on to the original powertrain in case you want to put it back to stock. You could also use a TH400 and hang on to the original crossmember and driveshaft to put it back to stock someday.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.