Hot Rod Forum banner

68 GTX in Paint.............Finally!!

5K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  mr4speed 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally painted this GTX ater 11 months of on and off work hours. It was sealed with Omni MP 170, then 3 coats of Omni AU Base, then 4 coats of Finish 1 Clear. I sprayed this one fully assembled under hood, under trunk, inside trunk, and door jams, all one shot.........very fatiguing!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Pretty much where you see it is where it was sprayed. Believe it or not don't have very much trouble with dirt, they always come out pretty clean. After I am done spraying I shut off the lights and put my fan in the doorway to air it out and keep the bugs out too.

#7 ·
Two thumbs up! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"It is not always possible to be the best, but it is always possible to improve your own performance. " - Jackie Stewart

#8 ·
You are right about that, gets real challenging with the clear especially......adds to the fatigue quite a bit........then add in the total spraying time with flash times included, your looking at 12 hours total......after you have been up all day I don't start clearing till about 1 AM.

#14 · (Edited)
Novafreak, don't have any finished pics of this one.................the friend that I did this car for is really nit picking little things that he does not think should be there. We are talking about nonsense stuff that he never paid for any way. The lesson to be learned is never help out a FREIND that does not appreciate it in the first place. I did this one so cheap I am embarresed to say how much I charged to do a full paintjob, were talking skim every panel, block it all out and straighten out all door gaps that were really bad. Oh yeah then wet sand and buff the whole thing and reassemble everything. Tons of time on a pretty big car (lots of square footage). Then on top of it all I hired a friend of mine to help me finish it up just to get it done and gone. Paying this guy out of my pocket too boot. Now this FRIEND is saying he can't sell the car for a BIG profit because of these little things that are not up to his standards. Imagine that???

#16 ·
I hate what you are going through. When I retired The first time in 1991 I took in customer work for about 7 months. I quickly decided I could have a business or a hobby but would have to choose. I finally told my wife when the last car left my shop I was going to go find a job. That may be one of the best decisions I ever made. The '57 Olds financed the 36 roadster and one day the roadster will finance the next project. I smell a 52-56 Merc hardtop or convertible down the road. 1954 sounds good huh?

Keep up the good work and don't let someone else's ignorance get you down.

John L

#15 ·
Very nice work. This guy obviously doesnt have a clue what it takes to get a nice finish product like this.
He needs an education on paint and body, it seems to me.
Prolly watches all the car shows where they build a car in an hour, but never turns the sound on to hear that 1200 man hours elapsed between start to finish.
30 guys x 40 hours ya know.You are 2 guys x 600 hours. What is that like 15 weeks straight?
Maybe you should list the time on paper so its more clear what he is paying for.

#19 ·
LATECH, I couldn't agree more..now I document every hour as to how long it took, why it took as long as it did and what problems would arise in the future if I hadn't done it the way I did.

I learned this very quickly when I did a paint job for a buddy who was down and out...the guy lived out of town, brought the car to me to do the work, I did it for cost for the friend and he went home and brought it to every Body Shop in his town whining about nothing and to see if, in his words, he got ripped off...The car looked good, he paid for material only and drove it for the next 8 years without a problem. I told myself then that I wouldn't allow this happen again.

#21 ·
Yep.............this guy is a REAL winner. Gave him a cheap price to do the car, why i don't know. Then he wanted the door gaps fixed, bottom of the hood painted, and then cut and buffed. He later added in a new rug and dashpad, that he expected me to put in for him on top of everything else I mentioned. Oh yeah and expected the CHEAP price to stay the same. I finally had enough and told him to forget about the interior extras and should have given the car back unfinished. But I did finish all but the interior parts. The friend jobs just stay away from unless they understand what it will cost and are willing to pay for it. I have done cars for other friends that I had no problems with at all. You just never know...............

#22 ·
Now I treat it like a business and tell friends and family (especially family) if they want things to stay the way they are then this is my price...and I'm happy for them if they take it to someone else...if they do I ask to favors from them. Don't bring it to me to fix it if it's not done right by whom ever they took it to...and don't ask me to look it over when it's done.

This way they either shut up and pay or take it to someone else and I don't hear about it.

#24 ·
Looks GREAT in the pix!

Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time with the owner. Time and materials with excellent record keeping is the only way to go IMO. That and I don't loan tools. Lost more than one friend/family member over their expectations of my discounted/free labor. I'll miss em(not really).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.