68 impala brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 07:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

68 impala brakes

I've been researching all of the many options I have for upgrading my 68 impala's 4 wheel manual drum brake set-up to a 4 wheel power disc set-up and I'm having a hard time deciding how to go about doing it. I've been eyeing CPP's full swap kit but then I look at the price tag and wonder if there are other ways. I know brakes are important and I'll shell out the bucks to do em right , but I'm trying to weigh my options. Should I collect brake parts from other GM cars? Or is the collection process such a huge headache that buying a kit is worth it? Any help is much appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 09:39 AM

The least expensive option is to use OEM parts, but that precludes rear disk. There's a couple of options, but the best bang for the buck is to use C3 Corvette disk on the front. The spindles interchange if you use the Impala steering arms on the Corvette spindles. Buy everything between the ball joints as an assembly and make sure your Impala has compatible master cylinder and proportioning valve equipment. You may find the 12" Corvette rotors and 4 piston calipers adequate without going to disk on the rear.

Bob
Old 11-08-2006, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the info Bob. I've been researching this Corvette brake option and I like the idea. But after pricing all of the components that will be needed for the swap, I still come up to the price of a kit. I really didn't price junkyard parts so that could be the difference. Do you have any particular parts sources for this swap (as in online shops)? Even with the price, I'm still leaning towards this swap cause I'd be able to take advantage of any C3 brake upgrades, right?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:45 AM

I have a '65 Impala that I plan to do the Corvette brake swap on as soon as the weather gets to cold to do some "top down" cruising. I bought my disk set up from a Corvette salvage yard nearby. Got everything between the ball joints (both sides) for $250. Additional cost will depend largely on the condition of the calipers and rotors. I plan on exchanging the calipers for rebuilt ones with the stainless steel sleeves as they have a reputation for leaking if left unused for a period of time. It appears the rotors are OK and can be refinished, so I'll save that cost. For what it's worth, most of the front disk conversion "kits" use a GM intermediate body 11" rotor and plate steel caliper brackets bolted to the drum brake rotors. Not only is the rotor smaller than the Corvette rotor, but most of the kits increase the track width because they move the wheel outboard slightly. Be careful of this if you have marginal tire clearance. The other options are the four piston '67-'68 OEM setup (not recommended) or the '69 -'70 single piston OEM setup. Rotors are rare and very expensive for those years. Finally, some are using the rear rotors from a C3 Corvette and modify the drum hubs so that the rotors slip over them. Again, this increases track width but it's do-able.

Bob
Old 11-03-2007, 03:44 PM

68 impala brakes

Hi been reading about the c3 front brakes do you know what else we have to do ie master booster ???
Darcy
Old 09-01-2008, 05:11 PM

help...

has anyone done a c3 corvette to a 69/70 impala drum to disc brake swap?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 468 impala
Hi been reading about the c3 front brakes do you know what else we have to do ie master booster ???
Darcy
I used the '65 drum brake booster and installed a '67 Impala disk/drum dual reservoir master cylinder. It didn't take me long to discover why the disk brake boosters are larger. The drum brakes provide some self servo action, which increases brake power, so can use a smaller booster. The disk don't have the self servo action, so a bigger booster is required. Bottom line is you don't get as much effective assist with the drum brake booster. It works, and I'm using it that way for now, but the larger disk brake booster should be used if you like nothing more than a little toe pressure on the pedal.

Bob

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.