Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 69 351w 4v
Thread: 69 351w 4v
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC
What distributor is on the engine? Is there a possibility that maybe the mechanical (centrifugal) or the vacuum advance do not return to the position due to hardened grease, a broken spring, or some other problem with the distributor, that is holding the timing too far advanced under some conditions?
it appears to be factory. it also seems to be running much better since i made sure all the distributor ends of the plug wires were connected properly.
looks like i just got in a hurry after it cranked and ran so much more easily than i expected it to. i usually check a plug every now and then on my older stuff and then check my wires (which is exactly how i found this). when i put the new plugs in and it idled smooth i just kind of said "runs good" and decided to drive it.
i still think i may need to re-jet the carb and i'll definitely change the valve seats and guides. other than that i'll probably put a petronix eletronic ignition conversion kit in then see about advancing the timing and let it go til it needs a build. at that point it may get some mods (if i've kept it that long it means it's mine and i'll make get away from the keep it original plan).