69 428 Pontiac dip stick - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

69 428 Pontiac dip stick

I got this engine in my shop and the outside dipstick tube is rotted off about 6 inches above the oil pan rail where it goes through the block, There is a short curved one about 5 inches long that inserts into this one from the bottom and extends through the windage tray into oil pan.

Now I purchased one on E-bay that was supposed to fit , but the bottom of the tube is too fat to insert into the block, called dude and he said the stick and tube I bought was supposed to go over the rotted off piece on the outside but it is is not large enough on the ID to go over what is left.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this setup , pictures , etc.
Would appreciate any help , cant install pan until I get the stick ironed out

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2006, 07:00 AM

On Pontiac engines the oil tube can only be installed from the inside of the engine, meaning the oil pan has to be off in order to install a new tube.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grusome Goat
On Pontiac engines the oil tube can only be installed from the inside of the engine, meaning the oil pan has to be off in order to install a new tube.

I've got the pan off , that s the dilema , I need to know just how many tubes make up this thing, like I said there is a short one inside that fits up into the one on the outside, I have driven that one out but , it was rotted away about 6 inches above where it goes into the block.
Now I am assuming that the one on the outside is one piece , it goes from the oil pan rail where it enters the block up to where the dip stick fits into it.
That is my belief , but I never saw it before it came to my shop, the dude that sold me the new one say's it is two pieces on the outside.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:22 PM

If the engine has the brackets in place for air conditioning the there is another tube that goes onto the one the goes into the block. Then the short curved one goes in the other end and down through the windage tray otherwise the dipstick will not go down into the oil pan, it'll catch on the tray.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.