Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   69 beaumont narrow rear (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/69-beaumont-narrow-rear-200243.html)

ricksautorestoration 06-12-2011 07:28 PM

69 beaumont narrow rear

I am hoping someone can give me some advice or point me in the right direction to find some information on narrowing a rear end in a 69 Beuamont. I picked up this car a while ago the person started this project he replaced the rear frame by making his own section of frame and decided to narrow the rear wheel well area a little bit also. It is not a major tub job just a little larger than stock and still should be able to use the rear set. I have no rear end for this car right now. What would be my best option and most affordable? Is there a aftermarket set up out there i may be able to buy? This car is the same as a chevelle as far as body style goes so i am sure its been done many times. I need to figure out where to mount springs rear end etc? It's basically just the frame there right now and the wheel tubs. It seems the guy did a real nice job on the frame and wheel tubs but i have never done this type of project before so i am looking for all the help i can get. Thanks to anyone that may be able to offer some advice or show me a link to this type of set up.

matt167 06-13-2011 12:18 AM

Get 2 wheels and tires in there that are what you want,make sure there equal and have clearence for the wheelwell ( plumb drops will make that easy ). Then measure from inside wheel mounting surface to inside wheel mounting surface, and then find a rear end that will work. If your going to put money into narrowing a rear end, go for a 9" Ford and get Chevy drilled axles..

Without a picture of the frame, it's hard to suggest suspension. 4 link/ 4 bar would probably be the best, but as a budget option, a ladder bar setup may also work, or the Nascar bar trailing arm type, that the '67-'72 pickups used.. hard to say what is best without a pic tho

poncho62 06-13-2011 05:08 AM

Chevelles/Beaumonts came with coil springs with 4 trailing arms.....Did the guy cut all that out?

ricksautorestoration 06-14-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho62
Chevelles/Beaumonts came with coil springs with 4 trailing arms.....Did the guy cut all that out?

Yes its all been cut out. I will try to get a clear picture of the frame. I am just trying to find the easiest way and the most cost effective. Thanks will post a pic as soon as i can.

ricksautorestoration 06-14-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt167
Get 2 wheels and tires in there that are what you want,make sure there equal and have clearence for the wheelwell ( plumb drops will make that easy ). Then measure from inside wheel mounting surface to inside wheel mounting surface, and then find a rear end that will work. If your going to put money into narrowing a rear end, go for a 9" Ford and get Chevy drilled axles..

Without a picture of the frame, it's hard to suggest suspension. 4 link/ 4 bar would probably be the best, but as a budget option, a ladder bar setup may also work, or the Nascar bar trailing arm type, that the '67-'72 pickups used.. hard to say what is best without a pic tho

I will take some pics and maybe you can suggest what you would do i don't mind spending some money on it if it makes things easier but I really don't want to get to carried away with it. Thanks for the reply.

ricksautorestoration 07-10-2011 03:35 PM

Pics of beaumont rear

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the rear section of the 69 Beaumont. As you can see the guy made a frame then attached a bar going from one side to the other, the tubs are not much bigger than stock. I have put together cars back to original but this is all new to me. Would appreciate some suggestions of what may be the easiest way to go here. If a four link system makes most sense that the way i would go then. Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

poncho62 07-10-2011 06:43 PM

WOW.....that is butchered.....

I think you have 2 choices.......Either build a whole new suspension from scratch.....or, find a replacement frame.......I would tend to look at the new frame.

ricksautorestoration 07-10-2011 07:07 PM

Ok well i diden't think it was that bad, yes i know i have to build a suspension from scratch that was kind of my whole point of the post. Thanks.

ricksautorestoration 07-10-2011 09:37 PM

Actually after thinking it over i am going to replace the frame it seems like they are not to hard to find and it sounds like any A body frame around that year is the same. I would prefer the car be back to original anyway and it would probably be less work than continuing on what this guy had started. Thanks.