69 bonneville vinal top belt trim removal question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

69 bonneville vinyl top belt trim removal question

I have a 69 Bonneville with a vinyl top,, that I need to fix some rust spots below the rear window, so I need to get the stainless trim off so I can peel up the top material,, anyone have any experience at this?/ are the clips removable from the inside of the trunk,, or does the trim just snap on, I want to be sure how this has to be done, before I jump in and screw the trim up like I did on my 51 chev H/T, Any help would surely be appreciated. I know the trim doesn't show up in this picture,, but it might give you a idea what I am talking about; just below the rear window Thanks Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0024.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	18844  

Advertisement

Last edited by Bad Rat; 02-25-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm not sure about the method that they used on that model car.But usually they are removable with a special trim tool that you can get at most any body shop supply store. You are definitely doing the right thing. Ask first save the wallet later. I have made those late night last minute expensive jerk and snatch decisions!!! OH the things you learn with time and money. I can say without any hesitation that to kill that rust check out Por-15 rust preventive paint.
http://www.por15.com/
we used it when we built this car. http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph.../cat/500/page/ http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph.../cat/500/page/ It is a great product, don't get it on your skin if you do, get it off immediately or you'll wear it off. You can brush it on, no need to spray it. You will need to top coat it if it's going to be exposed to sunlight or it's in an area that you are going to paint. Right after you finish brushing it on let it just tack off then spray it with a good primer. If you let it dry the por-15 is hard to sand and the primer doesn't want to stick as well as it should.Also do not open the can!!! Puncture a small hole in the top and one in the side just below the top.Then install sheet metal screws. If you open the can and don't use all of it and put the lid back on IT WILL DRY OUT. It doesn't take as much of this paint as you think it will, start out small till you figure out how well it covers. They make a starter kit that is not real expensive and will cover quite a large area and if you only need to do a few sots it might be all you need. I hope you find this info helpful. I was very impressed with this product. Thanks Brian
Old 02-26-2007, 01:32 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks for that link Brian,, I have used por 15 before,, and I agree,, it is a very good product and it definately will not be removed after it is dry,, I used it along with some fiberglass mat, to fill some minor rust holes in a floor board, some dripped onto the pavement below the car ,, and it is still there,, 5 years later,, can;t chip it up,, its tough stuff..
By the way,, using it with Fiberglass mat instead of resin,, works really good, great for patching small to medium holes, ,, good idea on opening the can,, it is activated by moisture, and the air trapped in the can after opening,,

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.