Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 69 Camaro Cluch Fork Hits Firewall...
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 03:24 PM
CamaroX

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

69 Camaro Cluch Fork Hits Firewall...

I posted earlier but didnt get any good answers so I will try again. I have a 69 camaro im putting back together with a 302 chevy and a 4 speed muncie m21 from a 67 chevy. The motor mounts and frame mounts are the correct ones for the car as I have finnaly found out. The trans mount we have is correct, but the crossmember may not be. I have read that the small block crossmember has an oval hole on the bottom, will a big block crossmember make a big difference in how high the transsmisiion sits?

The reason I ask that is because number 1, the clutch fork as it sits now hits the firewall but needs to move farther (possibly needs to be adjusted) and number 2 the header is sitting about an 1/8th of an inch from the floor of the car.
We have a lakewood bellhousing and clutch fork both summit said would work, the part # for the bellhousing is the correct one, and the clutch fork year one sells as the replacement for the stock one. I have a new clutch,pressure plate, and throwout bearing all installed correctly by me and my dad (hopefully) . If the trans crossmember is wrong would it bring the back of the motor and trans down low enough for everything to clear? The previous owner had a 454 sitting in this car with and auto and it didnt seem to have any clearance problems.

So i guess after saying all that complicated extra stuff my question is, will getting the technically correct crossmember change how high the trans sits, no one seems to know hopefully someone here does! Thank you