69 Camaro front suspension rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 03:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

69 Camaro front suspension rebuild

Hey Folks,
The front suspension on my 69 camaro is worn out and in need
of replacement. A quote from the local suspension shop was $550 to replace all the front bushings. I've checked a few of the parts catalogs and a complete rebuild kit can be had for about $240. I'm considering doing this myself, the $300 I save on labor could go along way to buying other needed parts.

Can someone recommend a good step by step guide for this? I've checked the knowledge base and this forum and didn't see anything specific for my car.

Also, any recommendations on rubber versus poly bushings. It will be street driven car only. I've read poly transfers more road noise then rubber... but noise really isn't of concern.

If I opt not to do this, does $550 seem like a fair price (Live near Atlanta).

Also any words of advice would be appreciated. I've got moderate mechanical ability, but zero experience working on suspensions.

thanks
mwm

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

You should be able to do the job your self, in about a day.
The shop would probably do it in a 1/2 a day.$550.00 is about the going price, as a shop is there to make money.

I would go with rubber bushings if it is a driver, Polly if it is going to be raced. You don`t only hear the noise, you also feel it.

Get a copy of a chevy shop manual, it will tell you what you need to know. Check the local library, and make copy's of what you need. HTH

Good Luck
Troy

69s forever
Old 10-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Last photo:

Do it youself it is no big deal, plus you will gain valuable experience. I would go with the poly bushings, but I would go with the ones that have carbon impregnated in them. They do not squeek at all compared to regular poly bushings. Poly bushing will stiffen up the steering and make the car more responsive.

Vince
Old 10-10-2003, 09:34 PM

I'm doing the same job on my 69 Chevelle and I opted for the rubber bushing kit. First because it is going to be a street car, not a race car. Second, the original rubber lasted 35 years, so if the new rubber lasts that long, I doubt I'll be the one replacing it again anyway. Third, rubber was a bit less expensive for only a marginal handling difference ( I don't do much slolom anyway, mostly straight line speeding).
I'm going to give the install a try myself. "It ain't yours until you bleed on it!"
Good luck to you.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:52 PM

does that price include alignment sp?...

if so its a good deal....figure parts 250,alignment sp? 100

so thats 200 in labor not to bad.....
Old 10-11-2003, 12:15 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I used polly in my 69 chevelle conv, and it`s shaking it a part, they will be changed this winter. It feels like the tires are solid rubber. My 66 Elcamino has new rubber ones and it rides like a new car.HTH

Troy
Old 10-11-2003, 07:05 PM

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. I've found a couple of books with step by step procedures and pictures for the 1st gen. camaros. I agree with Vince, it would be valuable experience, so I'll do it myself. After reading the feedback, I'll think I go with rubber over poly for now. If I ever get into racing in the future I'll consider switching to poly (plus I'll know how)... I'll let ya know how it turns out. Thanks again.
Mike
Old 10-21-2003, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 69Z
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. I've found a couple of books with step by step procedures and pictures for the 1st gen. camaros. I I'll let ya know how it turns out. Mike
Hi Mike!

How did it go? I have a 67 RS that needs new bushings as well. Which books did you find? I have a FSM for 67, will that one give me enough information?

Are you going to redo the rear suspension?

Thanks!
Denis
Old 10-21-2003, 07:20 PM

Hey Denis (2 n's?),

Thanks for asking. Actually I haven't started yet. Couple of reasons, I'm kind of waiting for the crappy weather to get here...
I love my early morning romps on the back roads... even though it should be a one day job I'm counting on 4... so thats two weekends of fun I have to give up, it won't hurt so much during bad weather. I was also waiting on PAWS catalog to show up (came in yesterday) so I could shop for prices... and finally I felt some air tools would really help with this job... already have a compressor but I need a few more dollars for tools....

I plan on having all parts in and starting in 2 weeks. The book that finally helped me decide was by HP Books called "Camaro Owners Handbook" Sub-titled "maintenance, restoration and repair how-tos for 1967-1981 camaros" written by Ron Sessions. Personally I think the book is kind of limited in scope but it has a good section on on front-end rebuild plus lots of pictures ( a plus for me). Also, the feedback and advice from some of the pro's on the site helped me decide.

Yes, going to replace all the rear-end rubber along with all the sub-frame mounts. Seems kind of pointless to rebuild the front
and not do the rest. The book mentioned above also covers the sub-frame, plus if you search the knowledge base here you will find some good info...

I will post the results when I'm done. More than happy to share any lessons learned with you if you haven't done your's yet... pls do the same...
Mike
Old 10-22-2003, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 69Z
HP Books called "Camaro Owners Handbook" Sub-titled "maintenance, restoration and repair how-tos for 1967-1981 camaros" written by Ron Sessions. <skip>

More than happy to share any lessons learned with you if you haven't done your's yet... pls do the same...
Mike [/B]
Great! I am in the process of replacing my PG with TH350 and rusted exhaust with mufflers. I have Ron's book as well and agree that it is limited, there are few projects that he covers. I was hoping there is something else with nice big colored pictures and step-by-step guides. :-)

My car is jacked up high now since I was waiting for parts, so I was thinking to replace the bushings as well. I will go with rubber ones to get a comfortable ride.

Btw, I will be painting my new Hooker headers with HVT paint soon. In this month's "Car Craft" there is an article on how they did it. I will let you know if the paint stays there or not (cheap experiment, only $5 per can).

Regards!
Denis

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.