69 Camaro partial paint pics - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

69 Camaro partial paint pics

Here are a few photos of this camaro that is underway. Shell just about ready to shoot and some parts already sprayed. Lesonal basecoat, SPI universal clear. More photos to come.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5483.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	86945   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5481.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	86953   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5480.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	86961   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5484.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	86969   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5485.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	86977  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Very nice Dennis, very nice...and that white does pop. I like that your painting it in pieces, always makes for a better job....Good stuff Dennis, keep the pictures coming.

Ray
Old 10-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray, I did the bodywork on the nose and doors the way we discused about the fine grits. The shell was already in spray poly at that point. Took today off, have been averaging 16 to 18 hour days trying to get through all this work. Have never been this busy.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

That's great Dennis, let me know how that works for you on the nose and the doors...I'm confident...LOL. It's great to be busy, but those are killer hours, and yes I do speak from experience...just pace yourself my friend.

Ray
Old 10-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Oh, did the finer grits take a lot longer than the coarse grits or was it just a little more time as we discussed.

Ray
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

Have to be honest, I hated it at first but the more I did, I did get used to it. Overall I think it is not too much longer time wise, because once your ready for primer it is just about done anyway. You will use more sandpaper, for sure but the outcome should be well worth it. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Always happy to lend a hand, I know that it feels like it takes longer the first couple of times...but trust me on this one Dennis, the end results will be worth it...the true test is coming on the final finish...and that is where I'm confident.

Ray

After I posted, I remembered another situation a few years ago where the same problem was happening...The person that asked me why, fought me tooth and nail after I gave him my opinion and he had all the logical reasons why what I suggested wouldn't work...he tried it, hated it...but 6 months later, he was a pretty happy guy...as I said Dennis, I'm confident.

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 10-06-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Could I ask what might be a dumb question? How do you get all the panels to match when you paint them separately?

I thought it was near impossible to do unless they were all hanging on the car and painted at the same time.

The car is looking great btw!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It is most definitely NOT impossible...it's a matter of painting each piece exactly the same as the others. It isn't easy but, it can be done. Here is a picture of tri coat C10 truck I did a few years ago. The base color is blue with a transparent Orange over top of the blue. 1,308 pieces painted separately and then put together...the color is great. The hood was loosely laid on the fenders to line up the flames, removed and the transparent mid coat applied... inner fenders, firewall, rad support, a ton of under hood brackets, tailgate, box, tonneau cover, dash, inside the doors...the list go on...and more small pieces than you could imagine...painted separately and as I mentioned, put together.

Also, 6 months later I was asked to paint a tonnuea cover with the identical flames on the cover as where on the hood...except larger. I keep notes on everything I do. The flames required 7 different different formulas of blue, airbrushed and blended...again, I keep very extensive notes and records...I record air pressure, temperatures and reducers and hardners used to name a few things.

It is very possible.

The third picture is just to show the detail in the chris crossing and blending of the flames that needed to be matched 6 months later.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blue Base with ghost flames.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	87241   Click image for larger version

Name:	hood before polishing.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	87249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flames close up crossing.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	87257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Detail before Lake George.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	87265  
Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
Could I ask what might be a dumb question? How do you get all the panels to match when you paint them separately?

I thought it was near impossible to do unless they were all hanging on the car and painted at the same time.

The car is looking great btw!
Not a dumb question at all. Keeping every little detail exactly the same when spraying. Gun setting, air pressure, painting panels just how they will appear on the car (doors not laying down) but sprayed in the same position that they would be on the car. Painting completely past each panel getting full coverage on the ends. This one I had to have more color mixed after I had painted quite a few parts. So I am saving the remainder of color in my original gallon as the last coat over the new mixed color just in case. But if your new at this with a mettallic color I would reccomend painting the car assembled, so as not to have any color variations as this would be a very costly redo. This color is around $535 per gallon times 2 gallons, plus reducer and 2 gallons of clear. Not a cheap ordeal, and would want to have to spend all that money all over again. Let alone all that labor...

Last edited by mr4speed; 10-06-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Come on Ray keep those pics coming.........I know you do have more!! Beutiful job bye the way, lets keep it going.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
It is most definitely NOT impossible...it's a matter of painting each piece exactly the same as the others. It isn't easy but, it can be done. Here is a picture of tri coat C10 truck I did a few years ago. The base color is blue with a transparent Orange over top of the blue. 1,308 pieces painted separately and then put together...the color is great. The hood was loosely laid on the fenders to line up the flames, removed and the transparent mid coat applied... inner fenders, firewall, rad support, a ton of under hood brackets, tailgate, box, tonneau cover, dash, inside the doors...the list go on...and more small pieces than you could imagine...painted separately and as I mentioned, put together.

Also, 6 months later I was asked to paint a tonnuea cover with the identical flames on the cover as where on the hood...except larger. I keep notes on everything I do. The flames required 7 different different formulas of blue, airbrushed and blended...again, I keep very extensive notes and records...I record air pressure, temperatures and reducers and hardners used to name a few things.

It is very possible.

The third picture is just to show the detail in the chris crossing and blending of the flames that needed to be matched 6 months later.

Ray
nice truck ray good job
Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

LOL...guys I do have a boat load of pictures, they are on a computer that I was using a while back and I upgraded...in the last 2 months I've been trying to get them off of that hard drive onto the one I have now...I am a computer techtard...LOL...I have hired several other guys to lend a hand...with no luck...yet, but, I have spent a fair amount of money from paying the guys that have then knowledge to replacing hardware on my shop computer (that's the faster one) and still haven't been able to retrieve them. This all started when I wanted to show another member some custom work on a dash and interior I did on 67 Nova. The Nova had a custom built full console from dash to package tray, with DVD player in the dash, all switches, lights, ignition, accessory plug, wipers, power windows and locks and a bunch more was moved to the console. Those pictures are on the hard drive that I can't access...I'll keep trying...I just need to save more money...the last run cost, well several dollars...LOL

I'll get it done though and post pictures.

Here's a 68 Firebird done in PPG tri coat Vibrance...the color is called tiger eye. This again was painted in pieces, even the engine block, transmission and drive shaft are all body color.

The other picture is of the engine compartment of the C10, also the engine and transmission where painted body color, I wish that this one showed more detail with respect to paint under the hood. It was taken more to show the 502 with a turbo than anything else.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68 Firebird 1A.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	87273   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine compartment.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	87281  
Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Im currently painting a car myself in pieces. I hate spraying on a horizontal surface as I always seems to get tigerstripes.. Its a convertible but was planning on shooting the hood laying vertically. Is this a No no?
I heard you say to shoot them in the same position as it would be on the car. Whats the reason? metallic flake laying at different angle?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elcamino View Post
Im currently painting a car myself in pieces. I hate spraying on a horizontal surface as I always seems to get tigerstripes.. Its a convertible but was planning on shooting the hood laying vertically. Is this a No no?
I heard you say to shoot them in the same position as it would be on the car. Whats the reason? metallic flake laying at different angle?
Yes that is exactly right. Shooting a hood laying flat would be much easier, and that is how it would appear on the car any way. I have got away with spraying doors laying down in the past, but now I hang the whole door in the position it would be on the car and is much easier to shoot the inner jamb all at once (no back masking) can get nice wet edges all around.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.