Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 69 Chevelle rocker panel removal
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'm tryin to help ya out here tec....I used to use the weld cutters that DID NOT leave a round piece to grind off, they are more like a drill than a hole cutter...Those blair style hole cutters are absolutely useless because you HAVE to grind that plug off,If your going to do it why not do it all in one step and not have any grinding to do (think of all the time you'll save) were not talkin one weld are we? when I replace a panel theres usually hundreds of welds to drill and then theres the "chunk" the section I'm getting the new used panel from, all those welds have to be cut also..
Unfortunately the best weld cutters cost over 50.00 (20yrs ago) I've wore out a good bit of them.and spent a ton of cash getting them....
OK so when you want to cut a weld you only want to cut one layer of metal right (like on the pinch weld where the weather strip fits over) theres two options here, using the low angle 5.00 drill bit I use I can drill just the rocker skin and leave a nice clean spot to weld but I'll have to punch a hole in the rocker for the plug weld OR I can drill all the way through and NOT punch a hole in the new rocker but weld it from the inside of the car and leave a pretty looking burn spot on the outside that needs a simple scuffing to prep for paint..... insted of a weld that also needs grinding....
Just by chance I have a camaro in the shop that needs a rocker removed and replaced I think I'll make a video to show you guys a bunch of tricks to get a better,faster job ,start to finish.... I'm replacing the whole rocker ,end to end on a 85 camaro not a whole lot different for your firebird...

Last edited by deadbodyman; 01-01-2013 at 07:10 AM.