Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 69 Chevelle rocker panel removal
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
One rule I have (for many reasons) is : never cut or take something apart untill you have the parts sittin there...
when you get the parts assemble them on the floor to see how everything fits and get familar with the assembly....
insted of cutting everything all at once what you should do is remove the rockers outer skin ONLY and using drill screws fasten the new one to the old steel getting good door gaps before going any further..Once thats screwedunscrew the new outer rocker and set it aside in then remove the inner rocker and screw the new one in and both together (only enough screws to hold it in place) These screw holes will be a big help in relocating the pieces in the exact spot every time...
The floor pans should have a lip that welds to the inner rocker you'll have to drill or punch holes in that lip where you want to weld ,every 2" or so...
when you get to the floor pan getting that lip to seat against the inner rocker can be a challenge at times what you want to do is line up grooves in the new pan with the old floor and worry about the floor to rocker fit later.screw the new pan to the old floor,(trim it down later) if the fit to the rocker has a gap you may have to flatten the lip and make a new lip in the right spot , but dont worry about that right now thats a pretty ez fix...
Just start on the outside and work your way in ,one layer at a time replacing each layer as you go and remove that layer to get to the next one using the screw holes as your guide...
You may have to take this thing apart and put it all back together 50 times before your ready to weld but before you weld anything be sure everywhere you need to weld is clean to the metal and both pieces are tight together or you'll have burn outs and ugly everywhere...Take your time....
I'll be going to the salvage yard this weekend to get my rocker section I'll take a vid..
nice response and that's what I love about screwing it in...it's not gonna change positions on you. I'd also like to state, and found it pretty useful, is that if you use cleccos for mock up your hole will be nice and fresh and hold tighter for final mock, which pushes the metal closer to the panel. Nothing worse than mocking something up a few times and to then realize your screws aren't holding tight anymore cause you blew out the holes mocking it up too many times, and in some cases this means getting out the long screwdriver and pushing it flush, whereas sometimes you get a break in certain areas around the screw.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
Wrencher (01-04-2013)