69 Chevelle rocker panel removal - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I guess I shoulda started a journal? Seems there is more cancer than I thought. Now it's floor, inner and outer rockers, quarters are useable, but there is bondo and fiber stuffed all over. I may just pull the body, not sure?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

Boy isn't that the truth, just when you thought you were almost done, little did you know that you had not even begun.............happens to a lot of us. your not alone.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrencher View Post
Well, I guess I shoulda started a journal? Seems there is more cancer than I thought. Now it's floor, inner and outer rockers, quarters are useable, but there is bondo and fiber stuffed all over. I may just pull the body, not sure?
Before you pull the body do the repairs...start with the body mounts. Its important to brace the door jambs if you do. Let me ask this ,whats it matter ? a couple rust holes or a giant rust hole ,the rocker still needs changing it;ll be a lot easier to get it off..Rockers and floors can look complicated but in reality they are not. especially on a full frame car like yours.So dont stop now, this is where the fun starts,pull the seat and the carpet then the interior panels and start cutting (with a sawzall) do you have an air chisel ? you'll be giving them both a workout...
I dont mean to scare you off but have you looked at the other side yet
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I dont mean to scare you off but have you looked at the other side yet
hahahaha...hey, one headache at a time.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM

Hey that might be the good side...
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
tech69 (01-02-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

Thanks DBM, it's gettin both sides, there's rust holes in the other one also, and I know the inside is rustville. I've got sawzalls, bodysaws, I'm waiting on the floor panels before I cut them out, I got the 4pc panels, and I'm not sure the rocker lip comes with em? Is that usually the case? If so I'll start
Old 01-04-2013, 06:55 AM

One rule I have (for many reasons) is : never cut or take something apart untill you have the parts sittin there...
when you get the parts assemble them on the floor to see how everything fits and get familar with the assembly....
insted of cutting everything all at once what you should do is remove the rockers outer skin ONLY and using drill screws fasten the new one to the old steel getting good door gaps before going any further..Once thats screwedunscrew the new outer rocker and set it aside in then remove the inner rocker and screw the new one in and both together (only enough screws to hold it in place) These screw holes will be a big help in relocating the pieces in the exact spot every time...
The floor pans should have a lip that welds to the inner rocker you'll have to drill or punch holes in that lip where you want to weld ,every 2" or so...
when you get to the floor pan getting that lip to seat against the inner rocker can be a challenge at times what you want to do is line up grooves in the new pan with the old floor and worry about the floor to rocker fit later.screw the new pan to the old floor,(trim it down later) if the fit to the rocker has a gap you may have to flatten the lip and make a new lip in the right spot , but dont worry about that right now thats a pretty ez fix...
Just start on the outside and work your way in ,one layer at a time replacing each layer as you go and remove that layer to get to the next one using the screw holes as your guide...
You may have to take this thing apart and put it all back together 50 times before your ready to weld but before you weld anything be sure everywhere you need to weld is clean to the metal and both pieces are tight together or you'll have burn outs and ugly everywhere...Take your time....
I'll be going to the salvage yard this weekend to get my rocker section I'll take a vid..

Last edited by deadbodyman; 01-04-2013 at 07:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
Wrencher (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
One rule I have (for many reasons) is : never cut or take something apart untill you have the parts sittin there...
when you get the parts assemble them on the floor to see how everything fits and get familar with the assembly....
insted of cutting everything all at once what you should do is remove the rockers outer skin ONLY and using drill screws fasten the new one to the old steel getting good door gaps before going any further..Once thats screwedunscrew the new outer rocker and set it aside in then remove the inner rocker and screw the new one in and both together (only enough screws to hold it in place) These screw holes will be a big help in relocating the pieces in the exact spot every time...
The floor pans should have a lip that welds to the inner rocker you'll have to drill or punch holes in that lip where you want to weld ,every 2" or so...
when you get to the floor pan getting that lip to seat against the inner rocker can be a challenge at times what you want to do is line up grooves in the new pan with the old floor and worry about the floor to rocker fit later.screw the new pan to the old floor,(trim it down later) if the fit to the rocker has a gap you may have to flatten the lip and make a new lip in the right spot , but dont worry about that right now thats a pretty ez fix...
Just start on the outside and work your way in ,one layer at a time replacing each layer as you go and remove that layer to get to the next one using the screw holes as your guide...
You may have to take this thing apart and put it all back together 50 times before your ready to weld but before you weld anything be sure everywhere you need to weld is clean to the metal and both pieces are tight together or you'll have burn outs and ugly everywhere...Take your time....
I'll be going to the salvage yard this weekend to get my rocker section I'll take a vid..
nice response and that's what I love about screwing it in...it's not gonna change positions on you. I'd also like to state, and found it pretty useful, is that if you use cleccos for mock up your hole will be nice and fresh and hold tighter for final mock, which pushes the metal closer to the panel. Nothing worse than mocking something up a few times and to then realize your screws aren't holding tight anymore cause you blew out the holes mocking it up too many times, and in some cases this means getting out the long screwdriver and pushing it flush, whereas sometimes you get a break in certain areas around the screw.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
Wrencher (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

Great points, I was pondering how to refit in the proper order. Thanks again, I may take some pics, have fun at the yard!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

as DB stated, don't be afraid to mock it up a bunch of times and looking closely each time at what you need to do when you take it back off, it's normal even for the pros. noticing the small stuff and dealing with it and re-mocking can be the difference between the panels lining up perfectly and having to tweak the flange just to get a flush fit for plug welds. So with that said, a lot of emphasis on mating flanges that get plug welds.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

I'm assuming it's more important to get a good exterior fit, alignment, than say, the inner outer flange location, albeit, it needs to be solid?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM

For us ,the inside is just as important as the outside just because nobody will see it dont mean you can get slack with your work...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

the least important would be if one mating flange hangs over the other. as long as it's mating and you have it nice and flush with floor/outer rocker with a decent amount of mating surface for a plug weld it's common to shave a little off if it looks funky.it's all important cause kicking the can down the road can mean ugly welds that you have clean up.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

I will put her back together correctly! I"ve got some rot at the frt inner rocker, under the pillar, and the lower cowl, and am currently peeling up the floor. I got the 4pc floor, shoulda got the 2pc, but, oh well. I will post pics, haven't had much time lately.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 AM

I got my used rocker section yesterday ...hopefully I'll start drilling and seperating the pieces today...
If the inner is in pretty good shape it may be easier to replace just the rotted section...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.