69' Chevy 327 rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

69' Chevy 327 rebuild

I have a from what I can find a 69' Chevy 327. I want to rebuild and get at least 300HP out of it.
Is what im looking for is what I can use with what I have vs what I need to look into new.
I have the stock heads wich I am told by my buddy that I bought the motor from that they are the smog heads and are pretty much junk. Can anyone elaborate more on that?
I have a wiend aluminum intake
The cam from what ive been told is worn and could use replacing
I am in the next week or so going to pull the pistons and crank to get the block boiled and speced out

So I guess my bottom line is I dint know where to start really and am looking for advice for a inexpensive rebuild

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

what's it going into? Just a street cruiser? There's a couple ways to skin the cat, but 300hp at the crank is fairly easy with a 327.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 PM

I dont have anything set to put it in yet butmy plan is to build the motor and then find a frame to start a rat rod
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Well that gives a good clue as to the weight of what we're dealing with here. What are the casting numbers on the supposed smog heads? They'll found under the valve covers.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Not a 100% but he said he thinks its 462624 or he also referred to them as 624 heads
Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt327 View Post
So I guess my bottom line is I dint know where to start really and am looking for advice for a inexpensive rebuild
"inexpensive" can cost more in the long run. Use stuff that is well-built and has a good reputation. You'll only have to buy it once.

Have a knowledgable automotive machinist inspect and measure the main bearing bores for being round and parallel with each other. If they pass inspection, great, jig the block up on the main saddles and cut the block decks to zero according to what your stack of parts measures. Don't cut anything until you have all the components of your stack there in front of you to measure.

Stack = half the stroke, the piston compression height and the rod length added up together.

If the main bearing bores are faulty, you will have the machine shop align-bore or align-hone the bore to return it to round and straight, then register off the main bearing bore to chuck up the block for cutting the decks square with the crank centerline.

If all four corners of the block decks are not the same distance from the main bearing bore centerline, then the cylinder heads will sit askew on the block and there is a fat chance that the intake manifold will not seal.

Once the block is square, it's time for boring and honing or just honing or whatever you plan for the block.

The first thing you do however, is determine how you will build the motor to do what you want it to do for you. I don't want to see you to get halfway through, for instance, some fosdick tunnel-ram setup that's supposed to work on the street and then come to your senses and abandon the project.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 PM

doesnt take long to build an engine compared to a car.
find a car,prep cars suspension and brakes,make sure the tires are up to speed,bolt in appropriate engine combination for the prepped car
Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 AM

Last photo:

Sell the 327 and buy a complete late model 5.3 for $1000 and spend around 400 to get the harness cleaned up and computer set up for a retofit. Some head work and a cam swap will get you 450hp and still get +20 mpg in a light car. You will end up spending the same money but will get a better engine with the 5.3. There is also an intake and ignition kit for around 750.00 for the 5.3 if you don't what efi.

Quit working on those dinosaurs. The chevy sbc is like the flat head ford V8 back in the 70's. Some guys just wouldn't give up on them and use a more modern engine.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10 View Post
Sell the 327 and buy a complete late model 5.3 for $1000 and spend around 400 to get the harness cleaned up and computer set up for a retofit. Some head work and a cam swap will get you 450hp and still get +20 mpg in a light car. You will end up spending the same money but will get a better engine with the 5.3. There is also an intake and ignition kit for around 750.00 for the 5.3 if you don't what efi.

Quit working on those dinosaurs. The chevy sbc is like the flat head ford V8 back in the 70's. Some guys just wouldn't give up on them and use a more modern engine.
This is a great option if you're looking to step up to something more modern and make a lot more power.

I say play the field. AFA your 327, you already own it. If you can get a set of heads that were cast after EFI was invented, then go for it. There's also tons of cheap aftermarket options out there. As far as used stuff, I see vortec heads and vortec-specific carb intakes on craigslist all the time for really cheap. Even the 624s you have now could probably get you to 300hp with the right cam as long as they didn't come with the 1.72 intake valve stock. Is it worth all the money you're going to pay the machine shop to keep em going? That's your call.

The 5.3L is also great for a rat rod because it's a pretty ugly engine compared to the 327. If you're looking to step into the 2000's and pick up some serious power, the 5.3L is the way to go. If you just want to get that 300hp, it's doable with what you have and a little more if you shop right and plan your budget. It just depends on whether you want to move fast, or just have that V8 rumble.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Yeah time isn't a big deal. I'm just lookin for the rumble more than anything.
I believe that the heads have the stock valves and I did a little reading and found that the 624 heads are highly prone to cracking especially if ya up to the 2.02 valves. So I'm kinda set on looking for new or newer set of heads.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10 View Post

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, but color me dinosaur green.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

GEN 3/4 engines are fine after 3500rpm, if you wish to run a loose TC and lower gears as well.

High gears, off idle torque, tight converters, the SBC still have their place. A set L31 GEN 1E heads on a 327 would work well, but tie you to an dedicated vortec intake.

They each have their place.

peace
Hog
Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Ok so after awhile looking around and drooling over a pair of camel humps I decided to go with a set of cast vortec heads from summit. Now the next question is will the weiand intake I have work with them and if not what would make a good mate.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt327 View Post
Ok so after awhile looking around and drooling over a pair of camel humps I decided to go with a set of cast vortec heads from summit. Now the next question is will the weiand intake I have work with them and if not what would make a good mate.
It'll be real apparent if it works or not when you try to bolt it on. How many bolt holes does it have? Either way, the Vortec-specific Performer RPM dual plane is a popular choice.

Tags
327 rrbuild, chevy 327

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.