69 cornering modifications - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2003, 04:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

69 cornering modifications

Hi Im a newbie to the board. Looking forward to talking to you all. There seems to be a great deal of knowledge here. Anyways I'm trying to set up my camaro to be able to handle corners and lane changes. I plan to do a two inch drop in the front with spindles, and have no ideas on how to lower the back correctly. Is there any kits available out there? As you can tell I dont have a lot of suspension experience, so can anyone tell me some other modification I can do to the car that will help me. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2003, 05:25 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

There is so much STUFF out there for these cars you can build yours anyway you like.
To get you started turning your Camaro into a corner burner look into a complete set of poly-graphite bushings for the suspension. Global West has lowering kits, tubular control arms, subframe connectors and complete suspension packages as do many other aftermarket suppliers. Dropping the back can be done with blocks or new"lowering" leaf springs and upgrading the anti-sway bars to larger units will also help. Shocks come in different sizes , valving and adjustabilty. do some online searches and be prepared to spend some money if you really want to get serious...
Mark
Old 11-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Like astro said, the sky's the limit with your car. There's kits for almost any type suspension upgrade you can think of, so it all depends on what you'd like to spend. If money is tight (which is the case for 99% of us here), I would start with stance (just because it looks cool). You have the right idea with the drop spindles, and if that's not low enough, maybe go with another inch drop springs. The springs will most likely be a little tighter making it turn tighter. Also like astro said, the rear can either be blocked or new leafs, but new leafs would be better because they would be tighter than the old saggy's. Then I would do the poly bushings all around. These little things will all make a great difference to your ride, but there's still much more that could be done. The next would be to get sub-frame connectors to stiffen it up, and then there's tubular control arms for even more stregth and adjustablilty. This is already a lot of money, and to get any further goes into a change of suspension type (like from leafs to coil overs or even a truck arm susp). So that should keep you busy for the next few months, if not longer. Good luck!

Oh yeah, don't forget about fat sticky meats to go in the wheel wells!
Old 11-20-2003, 02:41 AM

Last photo:

Check out this site:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...suspension.htm

and there's a good 1st gen. tech forum at:
http://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi
Old 11-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Decadent pianoplayer

What is the tubelar control arms?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:28 PM

I have a 68 Camaro that I have set up to handle quite well. Like everyone else said, the aftermarket makes about everything for these cars. Here is what I run on my car: Hotchkis 2 inch lowering springs & leaf springs, 1 1/8" sway bar, Global west tubular A arms with their del a lum bushings (these are great), Edelbrock shocks, fast ratio steering box (2.5 turns lock to lock), and solid body mounts. For wheels/tires I run a 245/40/17 in front on a 8 inch rim, and 285/40/17 in back on a 9.5 inch rim.
As far as lowering the car goes, I would reccomend using springs over lowering spindles because the springs will tighten up the front suspension. This will reduce body roll which causes possitive camber gain on 1st gen Camaros (where the top of the tire starts leaning out of the fender in a turn). For the rear, I would go with a dearched spring from global west. They lower the car, and can eliminate wheelhop at the same time. Also, if the front end components on your car are worn, they should be replaced. This will make a big difference. Hope this helped a little.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.